planning ahead

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by tatersalad, Aug 8, 2012.

1. tatersalad

tatersalad Member

I have a Savage 111 in .30-06, 22" sporter barrel. I know that I want to upgrade, but still trying to decide on what to do. I know I want to put a heavier barrel on the rifle, so a caliber change won't make any $ difference. I'll also be changing the stock (to a Manners or McMillian), and getting higher mag glass. SWFA SS 6x42 mounted now.

I live in South Carolina, so the majority of my hunting will be southern sized deer. We do have a large cut over on our lease where long range shots would be required.

SO, I'm open to suggestions. I'd love a .338 of some flavor, but that would be waaay over kill for the deer here, and I don't want to spend all my money on ammo ;-)

I've been doing a lot of reading, and will be doing a bunch more, but thought I would at least start a conversation.

thanks, Pete

2. Nimrod

Nimrod Well-Known Member

Hey Pete,
    I hunted the "Low Country" for a few years when I was stationed in Charleston. I had pretty much no long range experience then, not much now for that matter. But I think one of the 7s ( take your pick from RUM on down) or maybe a .270WSM would be just the ticket. I hunted pine plantations and we had some long ranges there too! If you just want to go 5-600 yards a standard .25/06 or .270 would work fine as would your .30/06. I sure do miss that long deer season!

Bob

3. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

284 Winchester, if you want Lapua brass, neck up 6.5x284 Lapua brass to 7mm and your done. With the 168 grain Barnes LRX reach out to 900-1000 yards.

4. tatersalad

tatersalad Member

Thanks guys, definitely a couple good starting points for research

5. D.ID

D.ID Well-Known Member

For a dear only gun I would go after 6.5mm The 6.5 lapua or 260 throated long for the 140s would be sweet in a long action. Low recoil and high BC with plenty of dear thumping capability. Go big or go really really efficiently. My .02