Place to shoot in Colorado Springs, CO

FEENIX

My son is in the USAFA and wants to know where is a good place to shoot (indoor or outdoor) his pistol.

Please advise. Thank you in advance for your support and understanding.

Ed

There is/was an unregulated shooting range on BLM land west of Springs but an idiot shot himself so they closed it to all and are supposedly remodelling it to make it safer for sheeple. He can call BLM office in Springs to inquire.

Closest real range I know of is Pueblo West Sportsmens range off exit 110 then west to Platteville. I'm a member, if he'll contact me I'd be glad to take him shooting. It's gated so he has to go with a member. They have pistol, rifle to 425y, and shotgun. There's some remodelling and expansion going on there too so some times some ranges are closed.

I know I'm coming into this one late, but there is a range on Fort Carson and it is free to military personnel. He can call to outdoor rec. center to find folks who can get him on the range.

Thank you all for your recommendations. Not sure which ones but my son and his friends actually tried them. Anyways, he found a sweet spot (state land or BLM?) per another member's recommendation.

He graduated from USAFA this May and is heading to NAS Pensacola for flight training. Might have to ping you guys again for info, if he needs a similar place to shoot.

Thanks again.

Ed

It's about a two hour drive (which is fairly modest in many parts of the country; I drive that far for matches in StLouis every month), but the finest range in the country is straight south on I-25; the Whittington Center. The NRA's premier range facility for virtually every discipline the NRA offers. Action Pistol, PPC, Long Range Pistol Silhouette, HP Rifle Silhouette, SB Silhouette, HP-XC, Long Range, you name it, they've got it. Great camping, hunting and lodging, all located on something like 34,000 acres. Best of all, if he's an NRA member, he's already a part owner. Well worth the drive, seriously!

Whittington is 3-1/2 hours for me. I have not been there. I shoot at BLGC which is a private club in Ramah, CO

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.