Pistol?

The 6BR is a great cartridge, but I don't think it will give you the performance you are wanting on yotes beginning @ 500 yards and further.

[ QUOTE ]
The 6BR is a great cartridge, but I don't think it will give you the performance you are wanting on yotes beginning @ 500 yards and further.

[/ QUOTE ]

.243 Win then? Geez, this sounds like it is starting to get into high levels of recoil.

And $1800+ might be a deal breaker on the HS. I think that is about the point at which I would go the custom route and not fight a right-handed action. I would think a left bolt, left port gun would be better for a right-handed shooter. Still $1000 less than a complete rifle though. . .

Scott

The Savage Strikers are left bolt, right port...that might work for you. They can also be had from the factory in .243 winny w/ the AMB (Adjustable Muzzle Brake). A better choice may be the .260 Rem for 500+ yards. The top gun pictures is my 22-250 w/ a factory varmint taper rifle barrel cut to 16". It will shoot 50gr VM's into the .1's on a good day but stick to the .3's very consistently. Dial in a little better than 10MOA and milk jugs at 500yds are busted. The bottom gun is the Super Striker in .223 Remington...thyy come w/ a 9" twist...nice for heavies but not my flavor...now it wears a 16.75" Shilen SS Match barrel in 7-08.

Striker%2022-250%20painted.JPG

Super%20Striker1.JPG

recoil is a very subjective thing, but I don't consider a 243 Win. in a SP to be much in the recoil department.
With a 243 Win. SP you will end up getting 6BR rifle MV's.
I rarely hunt coyotes, but my hunting buddy sscoyote does quite a bit with specialty pistols. He may be better at giving you what would be considered a miminmum cartridge to take yotes beginning at 500 yards.
Another question is, do you want this to kill a yote and save the hide or just kill a yote?
sscoyotes LR dog SP is a 6.5WSM and his other SP's for closer ranges are 17 Mach IV, 20 BR, and the 243 WSSM.

what did you do to the stock. It's a cool looking hand cannon. Also how hard is it to have on of the strikers rebarreled. Is there a maximum barrel length on pistols? Thanks guys

Rebarrel a striker the same way you would a Rem XP. Any good smith can do it.
There is no federal max length for SP's unless it is within a states requirement for hunting.

I searched the Savage site and didn't find anythink on bolt pistols. Does Savage still make them?

Scott

What did I do to the stock?? Well...I first rattle canned it tan...then a light coat of a texture "stone" paint. Then just sort of whent goofy on it...little brown, green, etc. Before I shaded over the base color I took and sprayed black on the edge of a wadded up paper towel then whipped and flung it at the stock to get some neat splotches and streaks.

In the gun world...it's just ugly enough to look good!!

The stock is not fully complete yet. I had to get it to the point where it could hunt last fall and I have yet to find the time to finish it. I just need to take a little weight off of it and round some more corners.
f02c7ef4.jpg

Nice MTBA.

My Striker has a 16" Broughton 8 twist barrel, and does .5-.75 MOA with the 115 DTAC bullet. I've also tried the 87 V-Max out of it, and couldn't get it to shoot, and the 100 gr. Speer BTSP, which would do .75 consistently. I did take a 565 yd. dog with it this year before switching to the DTAC, and it performed just fine. So far the only long shot i've had with the DTAC was a 680 yd. shot in a measured +/- 25 mph x-wind and was scant inches from the clump of grass we were shooting at for 1 shot. The WSSM needs a muzzle break if using a rifle scope as mine is.

My old 6.5-284 XP-100 was great for long-range varmints, and was responsible for several coyotes beyond 500 yds. and would be great with about any higher BC bullet 120 gr. and above.

The 22's with 69 gr. + bullets oughtta be good to 500 or 600 yds. stretching it. The bigger 75 A-Max out of say a 22-250 capacity should get u maybe 600+ on the good days.

The 6BR is gonna be about 200-300 fps less velocity than the 243, and u may be able to get to 500 yds. on coyotes stretching it IMO. My suggestion is to go with 243, 6mm Rem., or maybe the 243 WSSM, and be sure and put a 9 or 8 twist on it so u can shoot the 105-115's. 87 V-Max would be where i would start and go up from there. My WSSM gives me +/- 800 ft lbs of energy @ 500 yds with the 87 V-Max, and 100 Speer, and the 115 DTAC gives me more than 1000 @ 500.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.