pistol stock for savage rifle

Discussion in 'Specialty Handgun Hunting' started by sdoc, Nov 30, 2011.

1. sdoc

sdoc Member

Anyone know where I can buy a pistol stock for any savage 110, 10, 116, etc I wanna make a pistol out of an older 243 and cut the barrel down but I'm having no luck finding a stock. Thanks!

2. pdog06

pdog06 Well-Known Member

might wanna check the laws first. It is illegal to make a pistol out of an action that is designated as a rifle action. Pistol meaning a barrel shorter than 16" and/or a total gun length of less than 26".

However, as long as the barrel is atleast 16" AND the total length of the firearm is 26", it is still considered a rifle.

Someone please correct or add to if i am wrong, but i am almost positive this is what it is.

What i thought about doing to mine was to take my Choate ultimate varmint stock and cut the butt end of the stock off just after the pistol grip, then just smooth it out. I have an 18" barrel on a short action Savage and it just makes the 26" limit.

3. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

contact Joel Russo here or Bruce Baer at Baer Custom Rifles. both make them any way and dimensions you want in solid or laminate wood. You pick type.

4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

The idea is a good one. The result is illegal.

5. sdoc

sdoc Member

Guess ill have to check the local laws had no clue it'd be illegal since people use the remington bolt pistols, tc contenders, and savage strikers. Around here during gun season instead of slugguns. I don't see the difference.

6. tyler.woodard04

tyler.woodard04 Well-Known Member

but those all left the factory as handguns

7. LouBoyd

LouBoyd Well-Known Member

Its' ok the way BountyHunter suggested. If the result meets the 16" barrel and 26" overall criteria it's still a legal rifle. The stock design doesn't matter. A pistol grip or a bullpup design with a pistol grip and trigger moved forward is legal.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  8. dirtball

dirtball Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  9. RT2506

RT2506 Well-Known Member

Here is another fly in the ointment. If you do cut down a rifle to the legal OAL of 26" it is still classified as a rifle thus you can not use it to hunt in an area that allows pistols and not rifles. Sale your rifle and get you a Savage target action and have it designated as a PISTOL action when you purchase it then build away. :D