Pistol action Pros and cons

Neal:

Indiana has some really weird regulations regarding what cartridges can be used for deer hunting, and what platform they are fired in.

The most common hunting weapon is a slug gun.

Muzzleloaders can be used during the firearms season as well.

Pistols can be used, the basic requirements are .243 and larger caliber, brass length (without the bullet) cannot be less than 1.16" in length. Heck, it would be legal to use a .50 BMG if it was chambered in a pistol platform.

"Rifles with pistol cartridges" can be used, but the brass has to be between 1.16" and 1.625" in length without the bullet, and the bullet diameter has to be .357" or greater. There are no rules on whether the cartridge has to be straight walled or not, so that leaves the door open to some wildcats, but from what I can cook up, a pistol is the best route to take for distances over 300 Yds.

I prefer the bolt guns when consistant long range accuracy is most important. The drawback for me is that they don't lend themselves to easy off hand shooting if a quick shot is needed.

If I'm hunting in the woods, a break open with a 10-12 inch barrel in a large bore is my favorite.

If you are going to stay under 300 yards a light weight bolt gun in a midgrip design with a 15 inch barrel isn't too heavy and can be shot off hand if need be. With some practice you can get pretty good out 100 yards on large game.

I know a lot of people like the idea of having a repeater, but I don't think you can really come off recoil, work the bolt, and get back on the target for a really "fast" follow up shot. You might be faster than a guy with a single shot, but you will still most likely miss the opportunity for a second shot if it has to be a quick one. I'm not saying it can't be done, just saying that in reality having a single shot isn't really that much of a handicap.

I don't care for MOA's due to their grip design and finicky behavior when ejecting certain rounds. When I'm hunting, I want something I can depend on. I had, and I know of several people who have had issues with the consistant ejection of a fired case from a MOA.

I think the savage action route is the most cost effective. You can build a complete gun for under a grand if you want to. That gun will shoot too.
I like the XP's for midgrip designs and if I was doing it all again I'd go custom action and rear grip design.

Good luck in your choice

Doug

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.