Pisgah National Forest/Linville Gorge

Freshta

Was thinking of a backpack/deer hunt next year up around Linville gorge area. Not wanting any specifics, but any advice will help. I practically live in a backpack and have been up in this area multiple times, but I'm kinda wondering what the hunting is like, and if the area around Table Mountain, Hawksbill, and Linville are typically open to hunting.

Thanks,

Tony

Most of the National Forest are also State Game Lands. I can think of some places that are not as rough/Vertical going in and coming out. All of Pisgah National Forest, The Shining Rock Wilderness, and Flat Top Management Areas are good places to hunt. There are good areas like Thurman Chatam, Game Lands, Uharrie National Forest.
Nat Lambeth

Freshta, I camp a lot in that area. Since you like to backpack and I suppose walking, there is a great area off Humpback Mountain Road. It is just off the Parkway @ the entrance of BearDen Campground. Humpback Mt. road ends at the Parkway @ that entrance. Take Humpback away from the Parkway toward Spruce Pine. From the Parkway it is maybe a mile to the entrance. One of the entrances toward the parking lot is about White Rock Road. You can park and walk for miles up the mountain on a gravel road and can hunt either side. Not many folks hunt here. It is Pisgah Game Lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.