Piggin

Aussie_hunter

G'day fellas, quick question are blue hellers a good dog for piggin? Iv never seen anyone use them for piggin? Also how long does it take to train a dog to hunt pigs

Blue healers are intelligent enough to pick up what's expected of them but they seem to do better as a bailer rather than a holder. Running them with others experienced dogs will get them to know what's expected from the chase. When crossed with a bully they tend to have more instict for hunting.
As with training anything, the time it takes to make a good dog depends on the trainer's ability, and the relationship that the trainer and dog share.

Blue Heelers can be good for pigs provided they are obedient as they are a bit head strong. They definitely have the heart for it, and if from working bloodlines they have good stamina.
However, they are leg biters by name and nature so if the carcasses are to go into the chillers, that can be an issue. Although not all of them will be leg chewers.

We had to put a muzzle on one of my Kelpies for that reason which kept her bailing and not biting.

Not a bad hunt dog though.
When training any pig dog I think you need to be prepared to waste a few pigs in the beggining to get them off quick and get them to "run on". Best done with two people.

I think if you asked 100 different Aussie piggers you'd get 100 different opinions

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.