Pig pipe workin

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Stix, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Stix

Stix Well-Known Member

Although not long range from this location i thought i'd share a photo of a pig pipe i hunted yesterday. It's a kneeling position holding my rifle with 1 hand and camera with the other, very frustrating but finally got a decent shot. The black lump in the top left of the scope is another 5 mature pigs and 8-10 suckers bedded down.

Ended up with 9 kills from that mob and that location :D Happy

days :)

Attached Files:

2. jackem

jackem Well-Known Member

You are one determined photographer! :D
    Great shot and good shootin!

Jack

3. COBrad

COBrad Well-Known Member

What's a pig pipe?

4. Stix

Stix Well-Known Member

It's a piece of PVC pipe capped at one end and a scew lid on the other, fill it with fermenting corn (Or other suitable smelly pig attracting food), put 3-4 1/2" holes on it and then tie it to a tree or rock with a metre or 2 of rope/chain.

The pigs smell the corn and have to roll the pipe to get anything out of it (The 3-4 holes) it takes a long time for them to empty the pipe as they only get a few pieces out here and there but enough to keep them working for it.

I needed dog food so got up reasonably close and just kept shooting, ended up with a line of dead pigs streching over 500 metres. They ran left to right so even the longest shot was only about 400 metres.

5. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

This kind of Pig hunt is why I own M1-A's and an DPMS LR-260.

Heck of a fine job with the old Mauser there or is it a Model 70?

6. Stix

Stix Well-Known Member

Model 70 XTR Varminter in .243, 95gn Accutips, does the job good enough but a new .308 will be taking it place for this type of hunting soon.

7. WildRose

Thought so.

Might consider looking at the 300wsm in the coyote or coyote outback too especially if you plan on stretching it out.

I already own .308, 300wm, and 300wm in multiple platforms so I cant' justify owning one although I'd really like to.

Add that to three 7mm STW's and the LR-260 and I'd have a hell of a lotta splain'n to do to the wife if I brought one home LOL

Again, nicely done.

8. Stix

Stix Well-Known Member

It's normal for me to shoot 15-20 rounds in a morning and 30-40 is not unheard of. I think a .300WSM would hurt the shoulder and pocket a bit much and probably only last a few years the way i shoot (Bad throat erosion from fast shooting). I don't think you could ever have to much gun for pigs and there are plenty of better calibres than a .308, but a .308 is a perfect comprise for what i need, accurate, good barrel life, easy on the shoulder for multiple shots, has 1500+ ft-lbs at 300 metres. It's a shame it has a rainbow trajectory.

I'd love another model 70 but they are $1600 down here, i can get a Tikka T3 (timber blued) or CZ 550 American (Timber blued) both for around the $1000 mark.

9. WildRose

That makes sense. I have had phenomenal luck with the CZ's. Both the 527 and the 550 in 300wm.

Keep up the good work.