Pics of new Allen Magnums....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Here are some pics of the new test rifles and bullets for the 257 and 270 Allen Magnums.

[image][/image]

This first pic is of the 257 Allen Magnum fitted with the 30" 1-8" twist #6 Pac-Nor Super Match barrel for testing the ULD 257 bullets. From early tests, it appears that the 156 gr ULD will require a 1-7 twist which Lilja Precision Rifle barrels will be making for APS.

This rifle wears a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14 with Ballistic Plex in Burris Sig rings and Burris one piece base. The barrel is also fitted with a Holland QD brake. Recoil even with the big 156 gr ULD bullets is in the 243 Win class.

[image][/image]

This is also an APS Extreme Sporter in 257 AM except that it is fitted with a 30" #6 Lilja with a 1-10" twist for testing the 100 to 145 gr bullet weights. This rifle wears a Weaver 4.5-14 Tactical Mil Dot scope in Burris Sig rings and a Burris one piece base.

Also stayign with the APS Extreme Sporter platform, this rifle is also fitted with the optional Holland QD brake.

[image][/image]

These are two of the new Wildcat Bullets designed specifically for the 257 Allen Magnum. On the left is teh heavy jacketed 130 gr Bonded Core FBHP. In the middle is the prototype of the 156 gr ULD Rebated Boattail with its B.C. of +.800 and on the right is the 100 gr Nosler Partition for size comparision.

[image][/image]

This is the first 270 Allen Mag. It is based on an accurized Savage 111 receiver with the 30" #6 Pac-Nor Super Match 1-8" twist fitted in the same manor as the Rem 700 to prevent any problems with the barrel lock nut cracking on the larger barrel shanked RUM barrels.

The stock is an unfinished Brownells Savage LA BR fiberglass stock. The barrel is also unfinished as this rifle will be for sale after testing and the barrel and stock will be finished to the customers request.

The scope is a Leupold Mk4 LRT 8.5-25 Mil Dot riding in a pair of Burris Sig rings and a one piece Burris base.

[image][/image]

These are from left to right, the 257 Allen Mag loaded with the 130 gr Hvy BCFBHP to +3600 fps, a 6.5mm-338 RUM fireforming load adn on the right is the prototype 270 Allen Magnum design loaded with the 169.5 gr ULD Rebated Boattail from Wildcat Bullets at +3300 fps.

The 257 case has been annealed because of the large change needed during neck sizing from 338 to 257. The prototype 270 AM case has not yet been annealed but production cases will be annealed as well to soften up case mouths.

A second prototype 270 AM is also going to be tested soon using the full length 7mm RUM case which would not need annealing as there is hardly any work hardening at all with going from .284" to .277". This design shoudl also provide another 75 to 100 fps over the first 270 AM prototype design. We will see which one performs the best as far as consistancy and accuracy and choose that one as the production 270 Allen Mag.

More details are in teh previous post on the 257 and 270 AM rounds. This post is mostly to show the pics.

Our weather is really supposed to warm up here in the next week so I plan to get alot of load and chrono test ing done on these two rounds. I will be testing the 100 gr, 115 gr, 145 gr and 156 gr in the 257 AM for velocity and accuracy out to 500 yards.

I also hope to test the 257 AM out in the field on a coyote hunt here soon and try to snip a dog at beyond 500 yards and see how she performs out of the APS Extreme Sporter rifle in field conditions.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Hi Kirby
What brand are the thumbhole stocks on the first two rifles?
They look well balanced considering the length of your barrels.
APB

APB,

They are Boyd stocks. The braown one was an unfinished stock that I finished, the grey stock was finished by Boyds.

For the money they are hard to beat. If you like Laminate stocks, with a little bedding floating of the barrel channel in most cases they perform very well. I pillar bedded both of these stocks and they really have performed well.

I like this thumbhole because its actually a thumbhole. Many are so small in diameter that only a bare thumb will fit in the hole. These work well with a heavy gloved shooting hand if needed.

If you get one for a heavy kicker, have the reenforcment pins fitted to the stock by Boyds. Anything from the 300 RUM on down have performed great with only a pillar bedding job but I did fit one to a 375 RUM that cracked after only a few rounds. I installed the pins and it has performed great ever since.

YOu can check them out at:

www.boydboys.com

They also have a good selection of laminaet colors if you want something a little different.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Hey Kirby
I Know you have dies in the works but I don't know from who. Also from your previous post about annealing case necks, are you going to have a company make brass specific to each cart or will we have to use the parent case and fireform? how about the 6.5?
Thanks

Littledevil,

The dies are being build by Redding, at least the sizing dies. The BR stylel in-line bullet seating dies will be offered by me using the same reamer as is used for the rifle chambers.

Cases will also be offered by me pre sized and ready to fireform. They will still be the 338 Parent cased headstamp. After necking them down to the proper size I will anneal them for so fireforming will be easier.

The 6.5mm is on the way as well. Just waiting for the barrel to get here. Have the receiver and stock ready to roll. Performance wise, it will add a bit more in velocity or bullet weight to what the 257 version is doing right now.

We will be looking at bullet weights in the 140gr to 170 gr in the bonded Core FBHP as well as a 142 and possible a 160 gr ULD rebated boattail with a B.C. in the +.800 range.

These bullets will be built using a heavy tapered jacket designed for these high velocities and for use on big game.

Sorry for taking so long to reply to your inquiry. Must have missed reading it.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.