Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????

I am reading this thread for the first time today and am certainly concerned. This is not the only report of such an occurrence but one of our greatest challenges is that these reports are few compared to the literally millions of hunting bullets we've sold since they were introduced in 2005.

Another challenge is that one hunter will experience this result while other hunters using the same lot of bullets won't. Making every bullet as consistently as possible using strict material lot controls and tooling controls gives us a reason to believe that if one bullet "fails" within a lot then they all should (or at least most should) but this isn't what happens.

Setting all that aside I am eager to get this situation resolved. I will appreciate it if you can answer some questions. This is normally done directly but I am willing to have this discussion on this forum so everyone (including us) can learn from your experience.

What is the lot number of the 7mm 180 gr VLD Hunting bullets?

Have you had this same result using other bullets from that box?

Do you know the lot number of the 338 cal 300 gr bullet?

Do you trim the meplat or repoint your bullets using a Whidden or similar process?

Do you single feed your rounds or are they fed through a magazine?

What was your load? I see you relay your MV but I don't see your load. I might have missed it.

Let's start here. I will also like to get the bullets back to our shop so that we can analyze them. I'll admit that when we receive such reports and get the bullets back in our shop to test them we have been unable to duplicate the results reported. It is important to note that we aren't testing them in animals but at this point we can't explain scientifically why that would matter.

I'll also address some other comments made in this thread. The picture of the 338 cal 300 gr is puzzling. It appears that this bullet has been sitting around for some time as it looks to be covered with some type of oxidation. It is also strange that the bearing surface of this bullet appears to be quite a bit longer than that of the 7mm. Both of these bullets have essentially the same length bearing surface.

It is also important to mention that the 338 cal 300 gr Hybrid OTM Tactical bullet was made purposely thicker so that it could hold up to the conditions it will face in combat. This was a change made after the Gen 1 bullets were found to have performance issues under high pressures and velocities. We do not recommend the 300 gr Hybrid OTM Tactical (Gen 2) for hunting. In fact we've recently introduced the 338 cal 300 gr Elite Hunter which is designed to expand more rapidly on game. Which 300 gr is shown in this picture is not mentioned.

Regarding, The Best of the West, it is regrettable that economics compelled us to discontinue our sponsorship of the show. This happened some time ago. I don't know which bullets they are shooting now or why they would switch from pushing the 7mm to a 300 Win Mag.

They reported to us that while we were involved with the show that they had no problems with our bullets. They shot literally hundreds of animals over the years we worked with them. They are good people and had the economics been different we would still be involved with them today. I'd like to sponsor every hunting show but we simply can't afford it.

Jeff (Broz) isn't aware of this (until now) but we have bullets that will be heading his direction. Jeff made it clear that he is not sharing his results using our bullets for the sake of getting bullets for free. He is reporting what he is finding when he uses them. It just so happens that they are working great for him (and many others). We planned on thanking Jeff for his efforts with bullets but this is normally kept between us. Since this question is coming up often I'll make this fact public so that it can be resolved.

Regarding hunting bullets working ALL of the time, there isn't a brand of hunting bullet made that does not have "failures". "Failures" is frankly a troubling word to use since these reports typically come from hunters who recover bullets from dead animals. How an animal dying produces a hunting bullet that "failed" is a difficult thing to process.

I am not saying that a bullet can't be responsible for an animal that doesn't die but there is one part of this situation that has always puzzled me. It is my understanding that the point of hunting is a quick ethical kill. If the hunter puts the bullet in the animal's heart, lungs or liver then that animal will die. A bullet that does more damage to these vital organs will bring that animal to an end more swiftly which is why our bullets are so popular.

If an animal is shot and it runs off never to be found, is it possible that the bullet was put into these vital organs and the animal managed to shrug this off? It seems unlikely. I recall that the number of hunting licenses purchased a few years ago was 14 million (this is from memory and not confirmed). If half these hunters shot one animal that means roughly 7 million animals were shot in one year.

These are rough numbers but the point I am getting to is that given the number of animals that are shot, how many are shot in places that are not lethal? I know this has nothing to do with the bullet shown in the pictures but to that particular subject, is it possible that a small fraction of a percent of bullets could perform in ways that can't be explained? Does this mean that the bullets don't work or is this simply a matter of the realities of extremes in a population of factors?

Having said all that, I want to make it clear that we will continue to work on this situation to discover why these results occur even if these results are infrequent. It doesn't matter what is the root cause. My goal is to figure this out so we can educate hunters on how to have the best hunting experience.

Regards,
Eric

Gotta say I've never seen any other bullet manufacturer demonstrate this level of concern and effort, and this type of open communication with the hunting community, in the sincere effort to improve their products, the proper use of their products, and customer satisfaction. Very commendable Eric! Big thumbs up from me.

Oh yeah, very interesting information also. Thanks for sharing.

PS: And Broz deserves a few bullets. :) He's been a faithful provider of lots of good information on this Forum, and I mean in addition to all the Berger in-use end results stories too.

I always check the tip to make dang sure it's open, use a light or needle to make sure there is no obstruction, that hole being open is critical function!!! I've seen exactly one Berger bullet that was obstructed in the thousands we've shot but we did find it and removed it from out hunting line up.

Rhian,
I will add a comment on my personal experience with sealed Berger VLD bullet tips and how I blundered into this finding. Eric may scold me for this post because he advises against messing with their bullet tips.

Anyhow, I purchased the Meplat Uniforming tool from Kevin Cram. It's a tool that precisely trims the Meplat flat on the VLDs. In addition, Kevin sells a hollow-pointing tool that can be used after the meplats have been trimmed to a uniform length. Here's a quick link to photos of the tools and bullets that have been meplat unifomed and hollow-pointed: Montour County Rifles
After this link opens, left click on the Meplat Uniforming Tool tab in the left hand column of the web page.

So I did this with about 200 of the 168 gr .284 VLDs and about 250 of the 210 gr .308 VLDs. During this process, I encountered at least 6 bullets, and I believe it was 7 bullets, with the tip of the jackets completely closed in - sealed - no hole in the tip of the jacket. This is easier to see after the meplats has been trimmed back ever so slightly, but the real confirmation comes when using Kevin Cram's hollow-pointing tool after the tips have been squared off. The leading tip of the hollow-pointing tool never did reach down into the hollow cavity in front of the lead core of these seven bullets.

This led me to suspect that this could be a reason for the occasional VLD failing to expand on game. I began this meplat uniforming and hollow-pointing venture in the effort in improve the likelihood that my VLDs would be even more likely to expand on each and every impact on game, after I had an experience where a 210 VLD didn't expand on the dall ram.

So for what it's worth, I encountered approximately 7 VLD bullets out of approximately 450 that I meplat uniformed and hollow-pointed - with the tips of the bullets completely sealed off. The jacket material was pinched totally together at the tip, and extending down into the tip at least the full length of the drill tip on the Kevin Cram hollow-pointing tool (a minimum of about 3/32" and more likely 1/8"). Berger doesn't recommend or encourage their customers to mess with the tips of their bullets that will be used for hunting. But I have my suspicions about the closed tips being a source of the non-expanders, and I will personally sort those few bullets out from now on and use them for sighting in or load development, rather than on game animals.

Phorwath,

This is one of the reasons I enjoy such discussions. What you have described is precisely the kind of thing that may be causing this result. We will have to consider this in our testing. One of the challenges is to confirm that a tip is closed up (which is a result of the jacket folding internally in a way that can't be seen on the outside) we have to damage the tip in the process.

Having said that, we will sort out how we can identify these bullets and test them to see what happens. For everyone reading this thread, it is strongly recommended that you do not alter the tips of our Hunting bullets. Until we prove otherwise, I would also encourage you to follow Phorwath's recommendation to put a needle or staple into the tip to confirm it is hollow before using that bullet on game.

Bowhuntwhities,

I can assure you that we haven't deliberately avoided testing bullets. If you can provide me with this hunters contact information I am eager to get more bullets. I have a large number of balls in the air and things slip through the cracks.

Anyone who has had a similar experience should follow up with me. It is a fact that I do not get to all the things that are pending in my "to do" list as quickly as I'd like. This neglect is never deliberate. I regret that from time to time I need a shooter to push me to keep me focused on a given situation. It is purely a matter of my having more to do than I have time available to do it in.

Regards,
Eric

Good points ( ha ha )

Very small hollow point bullets need to be inspected before use.

Rattling around in transit, in and out of the magazine, etc can fold over part of the point and make expansion problematic.
That is probably one of the greatest advantages to a tipped bullet, but often they are not as accurate.

There are trade-offs with every bullet, but the more fragile bullets are often needed at long range and these match grade bullets are also welcome for the accuracy they bring to the table.
I doubt I'd use a Berger VLD on a Cape Buffalo and also would not use a 500 grain solid on an antelope!
IMO!

edge.

What about the rounds in a magazine that get the bullet tips slightly flattened after the the first shot in the field is taken due to recoil? I hadn't thought too much about this before (and, once this happens, I usually keep the same rounds down in the mag and load a fresh round in the chamber for the duration of the season), but I wonder if this could contribute to a lack of expansion? Anyone have any experience here?

I have only been reloading one year I have shot three whitetails in that time using berger 7mm180 hunting one @ 100yds one at 340 yds with no problems .i was out of hunting vlds last month so I was usi.g my target vlbs n shot a whitetail @500yds blew thru tbe deer with a 2" exit wound

What about the rounds in a magazine that get the bullet tips slightly flattened after the the first shot in the field is taken due to recoil? I hadn't thought too much about this before (and, once this happens, I usually keep the same rounds down in the mag and load a fresh round in the chamber for the duration of the season), but I wonder if this could contribute to a lack of expansion? Anyone have any experience here?

This is a valid point for consideration. And also the reason I have no experiences to report. Because I'm one of the guys that empties the magazine prior to long range encounters in order to prevent any bullet tip damage to the rounds in the magazine during rifle recoil - regardless of the brand of bullet I've loaded into the magazine.
The only time the rounds in my magazines will ride out rifle recoil is if I surprise myself, and the game (or predator - bear yikes!) animal in a close range encounter, and open fire in that scenario.

Well here is my response to a few questions that were being asked:
I asked Broz if he recieved bullets, because i think he did a great job on publishing photos and info. ect. on a hunting bullet that was used in a hunting situation! Everyone appreciates the feedback that is done in the field rather than just on paper! I too, test alot of bullets and calibers at different ranges on different species of animals! Its interesting to see the results.

7mm Mag Load
Winchester Case
Federal Large Rifle Magnum Match Primer
70.0 grains of Hodgon Retumbo
180 gr. Berger Hunting VLD
Lot # 4250 500count of Bullets (some performed great on animals and a few didnt)

No i did not touch the tips of any bullets and yes my i feed my rounds out of the magazine, and i know the question there is going to be did you slam the tip against the magazine ect and close the tip up! but no i did not do that, i am aware of that being possible though.

So far i think Phorwath has the greatest ideal of information as far as testing the 400+ bullets and finding 7 that were fully enclosed.

I do like Berger bullets as i said before and im not trying to give them a bad reputation, I will continue to use Berger bullets but i really want the explanation of why some perform and why some dont.

Yes i agree heart and lung shots are vital shots. but not all hunting conditions are perfect and for anyone that shoots long range knows that anything can happen, or the wind may not have been judged perfectly across the canyon ect. an elk can go a long ways on one lung, and its really tough to find a blood trail with a pencil hole that didnt do much damage. On this cow elk the shot placement was great and i think she would have died within the hour, but i put another one through her anyways to make sure she didnt go anywhere. the second shot was a broadside shot. That bullet performed on how it should! My dads bull at 705 yards 210gr vld 300 RUM dropped the bull in the park slid 300 yards and didnt bleed a speck of blood! I searched the snow for one drop of blood and videoed it because im so interested in long range hunting as Broz is! He then followed up with a neck shot at 20 yards.

The 338 Lapua 300gr. bullet was a Hybrid OTM Tactical with lot #4352, maybe thats the problem but correct me if im wrong Broz is using a 215gr. tactical and getting outstanding performance. and i dont believe he would be getting near the energy on his 1250+ yard antelope as this bear would have at 1,152 yards.

Ya I agree with BowhuntWhities, that I wont quit shooting Berger, but if the new Noslers are what they say they are, might not be a bad idea doing some testing with those as well!

Yes Eric, Thanks for getting involved in a forum since i know you have your irons in the fire and you are a big company! I appreciate your feedback as well!

I've seen it many times before which is why I no longer use soft points of any sort.

As someone already stated, no manufacturing process is perfect 100% of the time and it is up to the loader/reloader to inspect the bullets before they seat them and to inspect the finished product prior to usage.

Eric cannot be held responsible for us failing to do our own due diligence because once they leave the factory it's literally out of his hands.

Bullridety,

I don't want for you or anyone to think that I don't appreciate feedback, good or bad. Good feedback helps others and frankly sells more bullets. Bad feedback is an opportunity to improve which, if handled properly, educates shooters and inevitably sells more bullets. Neither scenario is bad for the shooting sports or Berger.

Thank you for your response to the questions. I pulled our production records for the 180 gr lot 4250 and didn't see any notations that stand out as relevant. I can confirm that we used the correct jackets (not thick jackets).

Your load is 0.8 gr more than we list for the max load in our loading manual which means only that it is not excessively high or low so nothing there to comment on.

The fact that you didn't modify the tips is good. I think it is worth considering what happens to the bullets in a magazine but my gut tells me that if this is the root cause of our problems then we are in much worse shape than I'd like. I would think that our bullets should be able to handle such activity but this hasn't been confirmed either way yet.

The results with the 338 cal Tactical are not surprising. We can't compare them to the results that Jeff is having with the 215 gr Hybrid Target because the jacket on the 338 cal is considerably thicker than the 30 cal by comparison.

We made the 338 cal much thicker to overcome performance problems when pushed at high velocity and pressure. We may have gone overboard but the people using these bullets (military) can't afford this type of poor performance (erratic trajectories and extremely poor accuracy). The new 338 cal 300 gr Elite Hunter is made with a different jacket to allow for more rapid expansion on game.

We have been kicking this situation around the room and have zeroed in on the next thing that we are going to test. That is the closed tip. Assuming this is the cause for the sake of discussion, it explains a lot of what we observe. For example, when we test bullets we get back, they perform as expected.

Also, hunters will report that one or a few bullets failed to perform out of a box rather than all of them. Another observation is that a lot that doesn't work as expected for one hunter works great for another hunter. This closed tip situation connects several confusing dots which indicates that the result is bullet specific rather than lot related.

In this case we won't need the bullets back since what we do need is to test bullets that have a closed up nose (you can't put a pin or staple into it). We can find those here. I've asked our Plant Manager to have someone go through the hunting bullets that are in our stock to see if they find any bullets that have this condition and to set them aside.

After we collect some of these we will shoot them in media to see what happens. We will also shoot bullets from the same lot into the same type of media for comparison. It is my opinion that bullets perform differently in media since it is constant and living tissue is marbled with various densities and structure. This doesn't mean that we can't see meaningful results in media but we need to be careful not to jump to conclusions without thorough testing.

Regards,
Eric

Well here is my response to a few questions that were being asked:
I asked Broz if he recieved bullets, because i think he did a great job on publishing photos and info. ect. on a hunting bullet that was used in a hunting situation! Everyone appreciates the feedback that is done in the field rather than just on paper! I too, test alot of bullets and calibers at different ranges on different species of animals! Its interesting to see the results.

7mm Mag Load
Winchester Case
Federal Large Rifle Magnum Match Primer
70.0 grains of Hodgon Retumbo
180 gr. Berger Hunting VLD
Lot # 4250 500count of Bullets (some performed great on animals and a few didnt)

No i did not touch the tips of any bullets and yes my i feed my rounds out of the magazine, and i know the question there is going to be did you slam the tip against the magazine ect and close the tip up! but no i did not do that, i am aware of that being possible though.

So far i think Phorwath has the greatest ideal of information as far as testing the 400+ bullets and finding 7 that were fully enclosed.

I do like Berger bullets as i said before and im not trying to give them a bad reputation, I will continue to use Berger bullets but i really want the explanation of why some perform and why some dont.

Yes i agree heart and lung shots are vital shots. but not all hunting conditions are perfect and for anyone that shoots long range knows that anything can happen, or the wind may not have been judged perfectly across the canyon ect. an elk can go a long ways on one lung, and its really tough to find a blood trail with a pencil hole that didnt do much damage. On this cow elk the shot placement was great and i think she would have died within the hour, but i put another one through her anyways to make sure she didnt go anywhere. the second shot was a broadside shot. That bullet performed on how it should! My dads bull at 705 yards 210gr vld 300 RUM dropped the bull in the park slid 300 yards and didnt bleed a speck of blood! I searched the snow for one drop of blood and videoed it because im so interested in long range hunting as Broz is! He then followed up with a neck shot at 20 yards.

The 338 Lapua 300gr. bullet was a Hybrid OTM Tactical with lot #4352, maybe thats the problem but correct me if im wrong Broz is using a 215gr. tactical and getting outstanding performance. and i dont believe he would be getting near the energy on his 1250+ yard antelope as this bear would have at 1,152 yards.

Ya I agree with BowhuntWhities, that I wont quit shooting Berger, but if the new Noslers are what they say they are, might not be a bad idea doing some testing with those as well!

Yes Eric, Thanks for getting involved in a forum since i know you have your irons in the fire and you are a big company! I appreciate your feedback as well!

You state that you have Berger 180 gr VLD HUNTING bullets ina 500 count box. As far as I have ever heard, Berger does not offer HUNTING bullets in 500 count boxes.

Can anyone comferm weather or not this is true??

We've added 500 count boxes to the more popular hunting bullets. This includes the following:

6mm 105 gr VLD Hunting PN 24758
25 cal 115 gr VLD Hunting PN 25753
6.5mm 130 gr VLD Hunting PN 26753
6.5mm 140 gr VLD Hunting PN 26754
7mm 168 gr VLD Hunting PN 28751
7mm 180 gr VLD Hunting PN 28752
30 cal 168 gr VLD Hunting PN 30750
30 cal 185 gr VLD Hunting PN 30753
30 cal 190 gr VLD Hunting PN 30754
30 cal 210 gr VLD Hunting PN 30757

This change was a direct result of a thread on this forum.

Regards,
Eric

Last edited:
I've seen it many times before which is why I no longer use soft points of any sort.

As someone already stated, no manufacturing process is perfect 100% of the time and it is up to the loader/reloader to inspect the bullets before they seat them and to inspect the finished product prior to usage.

Eric cannot be held responsible for us failing to do our own due diligence because once they leave the factory it's literally out of his hands.

What do you use?

From my experience the Berger and SMK type bullet survive the whack in the magazine better than do most other bullets. I'm just wondering if anyone has any real world experience or done any testing the the 'whacked' Berger/SMK type bullets.

I'm certainly not intending to put any responsibility/blame anywhere, just to be clear, WildRose, in case your comments were directed at me. A 'whacked' bullet point is simply a byproduct of hunting with rounds in a magazine. No more...no less. I have made an observation and was curious if others could shed any light on it via their experience/possible testing. The issue I raised may not be an issue at all, I don't know. But it would be nice to know if it is, and if it is, I may make adjustments.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.