Picking up a new .243

2010hemislt

Hey everyone.. So lately I have been getting into target shooting at longer distances and am pretty comfortable shooting out to 5 or 600 yards. I do a lt of coyote hunting and use a .22-250 but i have decided to purchase a .243 to get into some longer distance varminting. My question is do you guys recommend a heavy barrel for these longer shots or will a light barrel be good? It will be used mostly for coyotes out to 5 or 600 yards. I have been lookig at the Remington 700 SPS varmint and was wondering what your thoughts are on it. Thanks a lot

In my experience, heavy barrels tend to be more consistent over longer shot strings.

Heavier rifles are also easier to keep steady for precision shooting.

But, you may also give up some maneuverability. Plus, they can be a burden to carry for long hikes.

I would go heavy if long range is the main objective.

Also, you'll want an 1:8" twist if you want to take advantage of the 243 for long range with the high BC 105-107 grain bullets.

If you really want to see what it can do with the 115's, you need a 1:7.5" twist.

-- richard

Thanks I appreciate the response! So unless I'm shooting quite a few rounds in a short time the heavy barrel probably isn't much of an advantage other then helping with recoil? Also I believe the SPS .243 are 1 in 9 1/8 twist.. Will this work out to 600 or should I consider another rifle?

I have a 20" heavy barrel Ruger thats a 1 in 9 twistthat shoots the 105 amax and 105 Bergers really well. I do sacrifice some velocity with the shorter barrel, but I tend to carry it out hunting so its perfect for me.

I have a 20" heavy barrel Ruger thats a 1 in 9 twistthat shoots the 105 amax and 105 Bergers really well. I do sacrifice some velocity with the shorter barrel, but I tend to carry it out hunting so its perfect for me.

Thanks.. Mine will mostly be for sitting and calling do weight isn't to much of an issue.

I have decided on a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 which has a 30mm tube so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a scope ring? Has anyone use the Vortex rings?

Thanks.. Mine will mostly be for sitting and calling do weight isn't to much of an issue.

I have decided on a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 which has a 30mm tube so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a scope ring? Has anyone use the Vortex rings?

heavy barrel is an advantage. i would use burris zee with inserts.

thank you to everyone for the replies. After looking around I think I am going to go with the SPS Varmint and then upgrade the stock as I havent heard to many good things about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.