Picking a spotting scope

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by cornchuck, Jul 10, 2011.

1. cornchuck

cornchuck Well-Known Member

Just wondering when picking a spotting scope for target shooting and spotting for critters, which scope should you go for? A straight eye piece or angled eye piece?

Jason

2. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

I use an 82mm KOWA with the strait eye piece @ 27X. Virtually zero mirage and zero image shift. I can make out the pull pin on a pop rivit at about 375 yards without much trouble. Don't waste the money on coated lenses for shooting! Just ain't needed
    gary

3. MHO

MHO Well-Known Member

I also prefer a straight to an angled.

4. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

I like straight, have both in big Zeiss and a Leica. The advantage is that with a straight lens, you can find your target much quicker. An angled lens requires you to fiddle around moving it until the target appears. Most straight lens scopes have a front sight at 12 o'clock on the objective ring, which gets you very near target without sighting thru the lens. If you use it only for target shooting, a angled lens is OK, once you set it. Then, it is very easy to move your head slightly to see target.

5. WyoElk2Hunt

WyoElk2Hunt Well-Known Member

I have a Leica straight scope. Works good for me every once in a while I wish it was angled but like straight more than angled.

6. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

the straight is easier to pick up and check something you already have spotted, angled is just a matter of learning to use it in my opinion, angled also gives you a better selection of positions and its easier to look through if your not using a bipod and have it resting on your pack. you can look down into it opposed to getting on the ground with your face in the dirt to look through it