Picking a new rifle

bohe

Hello Everyone,

I am planning on putting together a rig to shoot deer and possibly elk out to about 700 yards.I want something that will be light enough to carry for long periods though.I am leaning towards a Rem. 700 CDL in 7mm Rem. and getting it chambered to the 7 STW.For glass I am thinking probably the Leupold 4.5-14x50LR.Do you guys think this will be a good place to start?Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

if you want to go to the stw thats fine just remember its more expensive to shoot and will go throught a barrel much faster than the remington mag. when i started i bought a remington sendero in 7mm RM. after i blow the barrel out i went with a custon 7mm wsm. my point is. dont think you need a STW when the RM is a great round. the scope is a great starter. i have 2 of them they track good. good luck

Factory Ammo is not cheap for the 7MM STW. If you re-load it makes a great round. Since I purchased mine last year, it has become my favarite rifle. One shot kills on numerous pigs, 3 deer and 1 Axis.

The 7Rem Mag has been around for a long time and has lots of places for factory ammo. But it's not an STW.

I named my STW "Watch This," because it still amazes me at what I can do with it. But that can be said with most guns you have confidence in.

Either choice will do what you want. It's all about personnel choice now.

The straight 7mmRM is a great round, but as a pure elk rifle I'd move toward a caliber that has a good selection of heavier bullets. The 300Rum comes to mind for a great 700yd elk rifle. Rem 700 and Leupy will work fine.

AJ

welcome bohe,
your choice of the 7stw is excellent,every thing you stated will work great hands down. premium 150 -160 grain bullets are a must ,the stw is more efficient then the ultra mags. the 7mm is a great preformer just as the 30 cal are, good luck and keep us posted, regards

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts