Picatinny rail for M77 Ruger .243

mcocks

Was thinking of putting a picatinny rail on my Ruger M77 but have been getting mixed messages. If it is a good idea what is the best Picatinny rail to get and are there any issues with them

Nothing but I like the Picatinny's ability to let you interchange and add and take of gear of relatively simply. I have not seen ring systems that let you do the same.

Look at the Warne steel one piece rails. They may refer to them as "tactical" It looks like the one for the Ruger is "A971 Picatinny Rail Adapter" and unfortunately it is aluminum and not steel. Warne does however make their steel Maxima rings which clamp directly to your receiver and they have quick detach versions. They are on page 11 in the 2013 catalog http://warnescopemounts.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/2013-Catalog-1-4-13.pdf

Thanks for the advice, Just another question does it have a tendency to make the scope to high?

Have never used one, but I suppose if you used it, you would go with a low ring instead of a medium. One question is what height rings you currently use ? The QD maxima rings may really be the ticket, no rail to add extra height. Looks like they only come in medium and high though, perhaps not surprising when you have no rail on the receiver in the first place. I imagine that the built in mount is going to be the best aligned with the receiver that it ever could be.

Just remember that if you go with the picatinny rail converter that you then get "regular" Maxima rings, not the ones made for the Ruger 77 receiver dovetail...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.