picatinny base

kkammenzind

I have just recently purchased my first true LRH rifle through the classifieds on this web site. It is a rem 700 Sendero in 7STW. It came with Hollands rings and bases and I have have put a Nikon 5-20x44 w side focus on it.
I would like to add an Angle Cosine Indicator and an Anti cant device to it.
It seems like it would be better to go to a Pictanniny base to attach these items rather than hang them off the scope with additional rings. I was also considering a 20moa base rather than flat. In reality I will probably not shoot beyond 750 yards for now but I hope to eventually get to 1000yds if my abilities will allow it. I have taken several deer and elk at 500 yds.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I am a firm believer in a Picitiny rail base. Especially on a long action Rem 700. If you remove the bolt and take a look at what is left to support your scope you will see where a Pic rail will bridge and strengthen the action. This will give your scope a stronger mount and help to keep things in line. I would also advise using a good quality base. Some of the cheaper ones on the market I can bend with ease. Night Force and Near are two I am fond of and 20 moa should be a good choice.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.