Picatinny base & rings suggestions?

EXPRESS

I'm looking for a scope base and rings for a rifle that should be coming back from the smith in a few months.

It's not supposed to be an all out LR rig, rather an accurate medium weight hunting rifle that might be called upon for the odd extra long range shot.

.300win mag
Shilen #5 contour 26" barrel
Trued Remington action
McMillan Lazzaroni Thumbhole stock
Badger Ord. trigger guard, mag & bolt handle.

I have a NF 3.5-15x56 that I think will be get moved to this rifle but may end up using something else.

I want a 1 piece base, Picatinny with the cutout that does not have much elevation.
I suppose 20MOA doesn't get in the way of normal shooting, but I'd prefer something lower considering this rifle will do most of it's shooting inside 300 or 400 yards.
As to the rings, sturdy but not bulky.

Which base and rings fit this description?

Glenn Seekins makes some great rings and bases and maight make an od MOA base for you , but your NF scope will probably have enough internal MOA to reach out to 600yds or so with a 0 moa base

I went with a farrel alum base 10moa drop and am eyeballing TPS aluminum HRT rings. The rings are made from 7075,pretty hard and about 1/2 the weight of steel, and no rust, maybe. I normally swap out the steel screws with ss also. I dont like the look of seekings rings at all.
Near has SS rings and bases but no idea of the $$$
TPS also has ss and titanium rings but $$$

Thanks guys, those are two nice websites and I'm pretty sure I'll order from one of the two.
What are the opinions on steel Vs alluminium?

I remember hearing a "rule" involving the construction material of the rings, base, reciever and scope tube that ended up stating; "use whatever you like"

Just after an opinion here, but in my experience quality alluminium products have been plenty strong enough.

The near bases are about.$175 and near makes a 1piece 3 ring mount that runs about $350 I'm 30mm. I just picked up an EGW 20MOA base with a set of Leupold mk4 rings. The set cost about $240 and works great on my .300 rum.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts