Picatinney rail

captacademy

I am going to put a picatinney rail on my 300 win mag. I would like to possibly have the ability to shot up to 1200 yards with this rifle. My scope ia a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x 40mm objective, 30mm tube. I was going to use a night force rail and NF low Tac rings. Will I need to get a picatinney rail with a 20 MOA cant/elevation to shoot up to 1200 yards?

I'm shootin a 300 XCR tactical, My buddy is telling me what I need to get into his club to go the distance (1000+). He told me to get a 25 minute base. He shoots with a sniper on his shooting team I was in the army with. Not a 100% sure, but I think he knows what he's talking about. For what it's worth? I just noticed nobody else was helpin so I thought I'd drop a line!

You're shooting a pretty flat caliber. I'd be floored if you couldn't make 1000yds with 20 MOA bases. Some scopes have more adjustment available than others. I have several that will reach 1000yds with no canted bases. I don't know off the top of my head how much adjustment is available in the Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x40.

When buying optics and bases in the future (at least this is what I do) figure on having 1/2 of the total available adjustment for "UP" (because your zero will often be somewhere there abouts). Figure how many MOA you'll need to reach 1000yds, I'd guess about 25 in your case. So if your scope has less than 50 MOA total buy the 20 MOA base if it has more than 50 you're probably good to go (of course it all depends on where you end up to get your "zero").

You may not need, but I wouldnt take the chance. They both can be had for about the same price, so I would go with the 20 MOA just in case.

Better safe then sorry.

Tim

Go with the 20MOA base. It puts your adjustments at 1K near the center of the scopes adjustments which is reportedly more accurate/repeatable. Take a look at Seekins Precision bases and rings. I put the base on my 300 Ultra Sendero and it is a very fine piece. He makes great stuff and he's a great guy to deal with. Best of luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.