Physical wind deflection Vs book value

peterb

There has been quite a debate on reading wind which will no doubt go on forever, but I am trying to work out some thing on a tangent to the debate.

I am using a 308 remington Accutip 165 grain round and have found (whilst building my own Data - Flash card) that the bullet drop varies a bit from the actual book values given by Remington, which I would expect.
Please don't chastise me for using these rounds 'cos they are about the best I can find around here.
What I would like to know is if the actual physical wind effect on the projectile will vary from the book data as well.
I had a situation recently where book data gave me around 36" for a particular wind speed and it turned out to be 50 odd inches instead. This is not too say that I misread the wind, but I could hardly feel it on my face and classed it as more of a drift than a wind which was also stable.(I said about 5mph)
The altitude here is about 240 metres which is roughly 800 feet above sea level, dunno if that makes a difference as well ?
So, continuing, are these ballistic tables which are supplied by the ammunition companies calculated at sea level ?

Cheers,

Pete.

Ballistic tables in a book are no better than reloading criteria in a book..
There are just too many local variables unaccounted for.

Get ballistic software, and calibrate it to your conditions.
That's my advice.

most of the long range shooting that i've done is across valleys between 2 mountains here in Pa. i get a wind reading from my Kestrel and then 2-2.5x it to come up with a correction for the wind. reason being it's always more out in the valley than it is on the mountain side. unless i'm very exposed on a cliff type rock, this seems to work fairly well for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts