Phishing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jimm, May 31, 2005.

1. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

Hey guys ,just fyi, Some hacker /whatever has tried to gain access to my registry here by requesting a temporary password(which was emailed to me here)Len provided me with the ip address and I tracked it to Pittsburgh ,Pa.However even that was a false trail, no telling where it really was.So, I just wanted to pass on the info.I guess there are looking for passwords that can be used to access more important sites and info.FWIW I pass this on. see ya, Jim

2. gonehuntingagain

gonehuntingagain Well-Known Member

Check your system for spyware/viruses. You probably have something that is collecting usernames/passwords on your system.
    If you do any financial stuff on your system, you better call the bank and check for fraud - change the password with them as well.

3. boomer

boomer Active Member

Check out this site for free anti virus software that works. http://www.komando.com/bestshareware.asp I use both of them and have had no viruses or worms, if you have Norton you will have to deactivate it to run Avast, Both will check your e-mail and stop problems right there. As a matter of fact I got the info from this site about a month ago.

4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Jimm

Thanks for the heads-up.

I get some of those phishing e-mails every now and again in various e-mail accounts I have and /or administer. This is the first I've heard of it happening for a sporting forum password, most times it's associated with bank accounts (monetary type affairs).

5. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

Dave , I think that the new idea is to get info from a site such as this and use it to work on financial scams. One thing I've noticed is that both attempts to gain access to my registration info ( one attempt here and one attempt at photobucket) could be tied to this site. I use photobucket to host hunting pix. and have done so here so it would show up on the posts with pix.Will let everyone if any thing further develops, Jim

6. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Jimm

Thanks

7. Guest

Guest Guest

A lot of people use the same passwords for their most important stuff as they do for less important stuff like this website. So if they get a password for this site they have hit the jackpot.

Be Careful Guys!

8. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

Thanks John M., That is it! A good thing is that we can be watching each others backs . Thanks again Jim