Pheasant load recommendations?

+1 on what Trueblue said, I also hunt Iowa with the same load's. Have used it for more years than I care to confess. Copper plated 5's will penetrate thru the breast bone on pheasants, where lead shot merely flattens against it. I first read of copper plated 4's &5's in a book by Nash Buckingham, he and his peer's were using it back in the 1940's at least. Where steel is required, the Prarie Storm's should fill the bill.

I didn't read all the replies but a few things to think about.

Are they wild birds or plants? HUGE difference in toughness, feather count and how fast they will fly out of range!
Are they holding or flushing out longer? How long are your shots?

1 1/8-1/14 oz of 6 is plenty for close in stuff and makes for a good quail combo as well.

For almost everything else I use high antimony or plated #5's or #4's. 1 14 to 1 3/8 oz.

Talking lead shot:
6s for early season, closer shots.

5s and 4s for later season longer shots.

I've killed a couple with 1 7/8oz #2 lead shot at long distance in the standing corn when hunting by myself and my retrieving dog later in the season. I think #2s are a bit overkill for most shots, and ill-advised in the company of other hunters. If you hit them in the body with #2 lead shot, they are dead. And you don't have to worry about finding any pellets in the meat. All pass throughs.

I didn't read all the replies but a few things to think about.

Are they wild birds or plants? HUGE difference in toughness, feather count and how fast they will fly out of range!
Are they holding or flushing out longer? How long are your shots?

1 1/8-1/14 oz of 6 is plenty for close in stuff and makes for a good quail combo as well.

For almost everything else I use high antimony or plated #5's or #4's. 1 14 to 1 3/8 oz.

This is the key point. Pen raised birds can be killed with just about anything. For truly wild birds, bring the artillery. Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads with 5's or 4's for the wild birds. Plated shot with heavy loads. Lodge in SD that provides ammo uses high brass 5's.

The load I found that worked best in my 20 gauge is the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant Nickel Plated 3" 1 1/4 oz #4's.
I've used #5's and they work well, but my mind tends to believe the #4's work a bit better.

Golden pheasant in the GPX or EXT in my 12ga too.

I found heavy loads of #5 to be the best balance of power, penetration, and pattern density. Of course #4s hit harder but open up the pattern at longer ranges. #5s don't stay in the meat at any reasonable range.

I've hunted pheasants about 40 Years. Loads I usually shoot are 2 3/4 "( don't waste your money on magnum loads) # 6, 5, or 4's. 4 shot later in the season when birds are more spooky and sometimes flush at 40 yes or more. A missed shot at 40 yes or less, don't blame your gun or your shells. Good Luck

By the way, I ALWAYS, hunt with a labdrador . You are wasting your time hunting pheasants in Iowa without a dog.

This post is a joke!!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha, a labdrador? Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!

You can hunt Iowa without a dog quite easily, pheasants are plentiful.

I prefer #5 nickel plated shot a decent comprised shot between #4 and #6 regardless of choke tube selections and fixed chokes.

A labdrador? Ha ha ha ha
What a freakin joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys ... Update... (I know it's been awhile )
Went with the golden pheasant load #5....
First day jitters not a problem.. 3 shots , 3 stone dead birds ..
Second day a little different... Storm blew in overnight temperature dropped 20 degrees and wind picked up 40 mph Still managed my birds
3rd day managed a sharp tail grouse as well

I load up a 20ga 3" with 1 1/8 oz of Nickel Platted 5 1/2's @ 1300fps I shoot a Bennelli M2 and usually use a Lite Modified choke. Seems to work great for me Last Trip out to ND i shot 23 Roosters and some Sharp-Tails......................

The load I found that worked best in my 20 gauge is the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant Nickel Plated 3" 1 1/4 oz #4's.
I've used #5's and they work well, but my mind tends to believe the #4's work a bit better.
The Golden Pheasant #4 loads I use in my 20ga butcherd the Roosters I shot and went back to shooting Nickel 5 1/2's

By the way, I ALWAYS, hunt with a labdrador . You are wasting your time hunting pheasants in Iowa without a dog.

This post is a joke!!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha ha, a labdrador? Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!

You can hunt Iowa without a dog quite easily, pheasants are plentiful.

I prefer #5 nickel plated shot a decent comprised shot between #4 and #6 regardless of choke tube selections and fixed chokes.

A labdrador? Ha ha ha ha
What a freakin joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched a guy in ND who hunted with Two Labs that were Master Hunters.............was I impressed. In my humble opinion two close working flushing dogs like those two Labs are the best Combination for Pheasants. My pointer dissapears in Heavy cover and I have no idea of where he is. Flushing Dogs in high cover cant be beat as long as they are trained to work for the Gun

ill 2nd Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 2 3/4 #4 #5 I like 4. Mainly depends if you like to eat shot? 4 or 5 tend to pass through. the Nickel prevents lead streaks in the meat, if you see dark, cut out the piece of feather that got pushed through.
I/C early then mod later season

Last edited:
I watched a guy in ND who hunted with Two Labs that were Master Hunters.............was I impressed. In my humble opinion two close working flushing dogs like those two Labs are the best Combination for Pheasants. My pointer dissapears in Heavy cover and I have no idea of where he is. Flushing Dogs in high cover cant be beat as long as they are trained to work for the Gun
Agreed, My lab was titled at 8 months old, trained him from start to finish myself. He's 11 now ;( and still makes amazing retrieves, just at a much slower pace.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.