Performance of 7mm STW and 300WM.

Bearwolf

Guess since post is still here, I am basically thinking about setting up a rem SFII from 7rm to a 7stw and was wondering if there would be enough difference between a 160gr 7mm STW and a 165gr 300WM. Distances would be targets at 500 and 600yds also possibly on hogs and whitetails as well. I would most likely use RL22 and Federal 215 primers on a 7stw and/or 300wm. FWIW I am currently using a Rem LSS 270 win, just wanting something that has more power and flatter shooting.

Last edited:
I have know guys that can run a 160gr bullet out 7mmSTW with a 26" barrel at 3300 fps , if you can get a 162gr A-max to shoot well at that speed it would be good out past 1000yds and shoot pretty darn flat to.

I have run 168gr Bullet out of a 300 win mag with a 26" obermeyer barrl to 3400 fps with some pressure but still that bullet moving 100fps faster than the STW will not shoot nearly as flat especiay at long range , say 500yds and out.

If your gun is currently chambered for 7mm Rem mag , then i personaly would try some good high BC bullet it that to see where its shooting because ballisticly speaking even the 162 gr bullet launched at 3100fps will shoot flatter than the 300 win mag with the 165gr bullet.

Well the only thing I can tell you is that my Warp 7 is a wildcat based on the 300 win and is a 7mm----built by Speedy and in a sporter shoots 150gr SMK's at 3290 into .3 every time with a velocity spread of less than 20fps..

The STW is close to that if not more..

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.