Performance of 6.5 SS and 140gr Cutting Edge bullets.

Won't have the pics down loaded for a few days but took a cow elk at 800 yards yesterday, wind pushed the bullet just about 6in more than I thought it would and it just caught the meat on the front of shoulder, breaking a rib going under the spine at the very front of the chest cavity and exiting a few inches forward of the entrance due to quartering.
Pin hole in then a wound channel about 3/4 of an inch breaking a couple ribs and shocking her spine knocking her wheels out, the arteries through the neck nor the front of her lung were touched though the bullet passed within a half inch.

I think 800 yards is pushing it for this bullet on elk, the permenant wound channels are just to small, I'm going to try to shoot a mule deer buck in the 600 yard range and see how the performance is there.

Getting the cow elk pics up. She'll be a tasty morsel :D

089.jpg

Dispatching shot at 60 yards, damage and exit.

087.jpg

This shot shows the wound channel, the 3/4 pipe barely fit though the hole, it goes through a rib on the on side then into the chest cavity and exits right in front of the first rib on the of side.

102.jpg

The wound channel goes through the top of the two small muscles in the center of the picture and the front of the rib cage, no damage was done to any of the vessels that run a 1/2 inch from the wound channel which would have resulted in a very quick bleed out and death without need to dispatch her.

106.jpg

I toasted a mule deer buck and I'll get some pics up of him also.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.