Performance change with current Retumbo

Greyfox

Two different lots of Retumbo I have recently purchased produce higher velocities in my 6.5x284 loads. My original lot a couple of years old, produced 2965 FPS in my 6.5x284. Two recent lots are producing 60FPS higher velocities at 3025 with identical results. To achieve my original velocity of I have to reduce my charge from 59gr to 57.5. After doing this my point of impact, ballistic performance and group size is identical to my original load. I had the exact same effect in my Savage, also a 6.5x284. At 57.5, the load is no longer compressed. Good news is that I can get higher velocities and maintain my accuracy. No pressure signs. Bad news is it's not the same and I wonder if they purposely changed the performance, or just have crappy quality control. Anyone else experience this?

Yes the newer lots of both H1000 and retumbo are said to be hotter by a significant amount. Hodgdens needs to work on this. It is poor quality control. I combat this by buying large amounts of the same lot. Last order was 40 lbs of H-1000

Jeff

I use Retumbo in my 25-06 and 7mm Rem Mag. I will keep this in mind but I've always had good repeatability with Retumbo over the years. It would be nice if Hodgdon came out with a Super Short Cut version of Retumbo.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.