PERFECT .308 ROUND

R14_STATON

I JUST BOUGHT A FN HERSTAL PBR AND LOVE IT.I'VE FIRED 40 ROUNDS THROUGH IT SO FAR AND I AM IMPRESSED. THE FIRST BOX WAS 168GR HORNADY BTHP AND THE SECOND WAS 168GR HORNADY A-MAX.. THEY BOTH GROUPED WELL.DOES ANYONE KNOW ANOTHER AMMO THAT I SHOULD EXPERIMENT WITH.I'M TRYING TO GET COMFORTABLE OUT TO 600 YARDS.

Fist of all try turning off your [censored] caps lock, it's annoying and a pain in the *** to read.

Second, 155gr Lapua Scenars are great for punching holes in paper, they have a high B.C and are very accurate, just don't attempt to use them on game they're probably the closest thing you'll get to a DU round and will NOT expand.

178gr A-maxs could also be worth a shot, My current pet load has them grouping around 1/2moa at 200y.

168gr and 175gr Matchkings are also good performers for both targets and game and are very accurate to boot. IIRC Federal load them in their gold medal line.

Hornady TAP ammo is generaly pretty consistant but in 95% of the 308 I have seen the Federal Gold Medal match will shoot better , they load both 168 and 175gr SMK bullets. I've also had realy good luck with the Black Hills ammo and they load the 168 and 175gr SMK ammo.

The factory loaded 155gr Lapua stuff either shoots great or crappy depending on if your gun likes it or not , I'd get a box and try it and if it shoots well that would probably give your best performance on paper out to 600yds because it has a very high BC , higher than the 175 SMK if I'm not mistaken and its running out alot faster also. I would not try to shot any game with the Lapua bullets though , I have heard zero good results from them on game.

Yep, the tall guy Steve.I sure do appreciate it.I got a 1/2 group several times.I'm coming back up their to El Reno to buy another Nikon scope.

[ QUOTE ]
I would not try to shot any game with the Lapua bullets though , I have heard zero good results from them on game.

[/ QUOTE ]

How's this for an 'on game' report (155gr Scener)....

When i first started using them i took them out for some 'roo shooting to see how they'd fair, nothing long range, all inside 150y. First one was about 4ft high (Decent size for the breed) and no more than 70y yards away, i put one perfectly through it's heart and off it ran, after about 200m of chasing through a gum plantation trying to get in a second shot, it fell and died from blood loss, dressing it showed the bullet was pretty much a stab wound and the exit wound was pretty much the same size as the entry. I shot 2 more that same night with the same results, ....BANG... Animal would run off like nothing had happened, after the third one i packed the .308 away for the night and went with the .22LR for the remainder of the night.

I found some old frypans at the local rubbish dump one day (The real old ones that weight like 5kg lol) and painted them up for gongs, both were 5-6mm thick cast iron. Anyway i set them up at 510y and 608y, the sceners went straight through them and penetrated around 10-11" into the dirt bank behind them, digging them out reviled NO expansion, all that happened was they bent a little and looked like bananas except one that had lost the empty nose section forward of the core and still hadn't deformed at all. I swear the cores must be made of kryptonite or DU or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

So until animals start wearing kevlar i'm gonna stick with 110gr V-max's and 178gr A-Maxs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .

BTW if you intend to shoot smaller game, try the 110 v-max, i believe hornady load them in the TAP rounds and they really tear things apart, I have literally tore small game into two pieces with them and it's norm to find bits of blood and flesh over 10m behind the target /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .

EDIT: IIRC Goodgrouper tested the 250gr .338 Lapua sceners a while back at 900y in wet newspaper and had the same expreiance, lots of penetration but no expantion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would not try to shot any game with the Lapua bullets though , I have heard zero good results from them on game.

[/ QUOTE ]
EDIT: IIRC Goodgrouper tested the 250gr .338 Lapua sceners a while back at 900y in wet newspaper and had the same expreiance, lots of penetration but no expantion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .

[/ QUOTE ]

The 250 Scenar also shot a hole through GG"s AR-400 Steel gong the only bullet to ever do so...........

Federal Gold Medal Match (FGMM) .308/175s are very popular for long range shooting and normally render decent results.

As posted above, it's largely a matter of what your rifle likes and Black Hills shoots well for a lot of folks too.

Often, 168s won't remain stabilized at extreme ranges from a .308, due to relatively low BC, mediocre initial velocity, low velocity retention coupled with higher air densities. At sea level (Quantico MCB) on average days, 168 SMKs *always* destabilze at 800 to 900 yards and I see a lot of sideways strikes. People shooting in lower air densities and with longer barrels can often see decent results to 1k.

I have two .308s, a 20" LTR and a 26" VS and both prefer the FGMM 175s over the Black Hills loading of the same bullet. I shoot both rifles beyond 1k regularly with decent results.

I've tried factory loaded 155 Scenars and they didn't shoot as well in my .308 rifles as the 175 SMKs. I haven't done a lot of load development with 155s in the .308, but I have a 3,150 fps, 3/4 moa load with them in my .30-06 Ackley that does very well at longer distances on targets.

FWIW, I shot a bedded deer broadside with the .30-06 AI and a 155 Scenar at a lasered 392 yards and hit him on the point of the right shoulder, broke that, broke the far shoulder and left a 1-1/2" exit. He was DRT and never got up, but I did hit a lot of bone.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.