Percussion caps?

old_heli_logger

I'm using Remington #11's in my Thompson Center 50cal Hawken right now. What's the best percussion caps? What's the hottest cap available? Which one has the most consistent heat/flame?

Thanks in advance!

I had problems with Remington's, but that was years ago. I believe that Musket caps are hotter, and 209's are hotter still.

I moved on to the Savage because you don't need to clean it at all. Probably part of my problem with the Remington's was that 100 lasted about 5 years. I hated to clean. With the Savage, I shoot close to a brick ( 1,000 ) of CCI 209M primers a year!

edge.

Thanks! I'd like to stick with traditional caps...the 209 requires a different mechanism, I think. I see that CCI makes a #11 magnum cap...anyone try these? I read where RWS make the hottest #11 cap, but I can't find them anywhere. I think the musket caps require a different nipple...are they hotter?

thanks again!

Percussion caps

I use the CCI #11 Magnums almost exclusively now. Much more reliable ignition in cold weather, but I use them year-round. Very consistent.
As far as musket caps, the RWS are the only ones consistent enough for good accuracy, in my testing and experience.

The CCI #11 magnum is a good bit "hotter" than the standard #11.

The musket cap is much more flame volume, and perhaps a bit more flame temp.

RWS caps go by the name of dynamit nobel, I shot them till I converted over to musket caps, they are the hottest #11 you can get, just busting one will tell you, the crack 3 times louder than the others.
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.