Pda & Program Question

4xforfun

I see by reading some of your posts that some of you use PDA's in the field. This seems like a GREAT idea. I currently have 2 charts taped to my scope (8.5-25-50 LRT). The first is my "DIAL-A-KILL".... settings for my scope from 400-1500 yds in 25 yd increments....with 0 being at 300 yds. IE 750 yds, turn elevation to 11 3/4. 1175 yds is +13 3/4 or one full turn + 13 3/4 min...ect... The other chart is windage form 400-1500 yds in 100 yard increments with 5-10-15-20-25-& 30 mph cross wind speeds listed in feet & inches. Not very precise, but I have been using this system for 12 years now.

I use the Sierra Infinity 5 program on my home computer & use our "avarage" environmental conditions and elavation during hunting season. I also have a cheaper wind meater that I got from Sinclare Int. a couple of years ago, but it only reads wind speed & temp.

My Questions are as follows. (1) Do PDA's work at 0 degrees or below?....most of my other electronics don't....and it can get cold here in ND, and I turn off the heat in my shack during shooting hours. My windmeter won't work for sure, but like I said----it's a cheepie. Even my Swaro rangefinder was slow. Also, it was hard to even push the ranging button. I sent it off to get fixed and after a night in the freazer it works fine. (2) Which PDA do I buy? Do I need a gazilloin megs of mem and does it need to be very fast to run a balistics program. (3) I am famillar with the Sierra program, but I can't figure out if I can get it for a PDA. Is there a better program out there? I see Nightforce has one on there web site.

Any info you can share would help me out a lot.

THANKS, TOD

I haven't used it in the field yet, but I picked up a Palm M130 off ebay for $30, put a new battery in it and it runs Exbal just fine. I figured if I lost a cheap palm, no big loss.

HTH

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.