Pawnee Grasslands

Discussion in 'Shooting Ranges - Places To Shoot' started by chain, Sep 1, 2007.

1. chain

chain Well-Known Member

I have been in Colorado since June working 7 days a week. Monday I was heading to the Pawnee Grassland east of Ft Collins for a shooting session. I have never been there. Looking for advice, Where? Rules? Thanks

2. Supermag

Supermag Well-Known Member

If you go into Jax in fort collins, they have a brochure on the gun counter that tells about rules for shooting on the grasslands. Also get a map that outlines the actual grasslands areas (the topo atlas's you can get have the areas in them). There is alot of private property mixed into the area so know where you are.

3. WWB

WWB <b>SPONSOR</b>

Don't Drive your target(s) out onto the shooting area. You may get fined.
    Also, this is a weird palce to shoot. Not just because of the goofballs that show up there, but also because of the atmospherical (?) conditions that can cause you to shoot 15 feet high! If that happens to you, wait five minutes and it will return to normal.

4. chain

chain Well-Known Member

You are right about the wierdo's Alot of Rambo wannbes out there, some good gus too though. I try to get out there once every other week. It is an hour drive for me in Loveland. No problem with the atmosphere yet!

5. Water Swatter

Water Swatter Member

lots of junk

Don't forget to clean up after you shoot there is alot of garbage out there, Washing machines, TV's. People go out there shoot up the junk and leave it behind.

6. Mr. Reaper

Mr. Reaper Member

Colorado Ranges

Colorado Rifle Club outside Byers, Co.

Any kind of range you can immagine out to 1000 yards.
    It can get windy however.
    It's a great place to shoot.

7. teddy12b

teddy12b Well-Known Member

I may be out in Colorado this summer. How does the "Colorado Rifle Club" compare to the "Pawnee Grasslands"? What kind of range is the Pawnee Grasslands that they allow people to take old junk out to the range and shoot it & leave it? Is the Pawnee Grassland range a decent place other than that? I read that they do cowboy competitions out there.

8. dariuszczyszczon

dariuszczyszczon Well-Known Member

Has anyone been to or are going to pawnee to go shooting anytime soon?

9. long range dogr

long range dogr Well-Known Member

The pawnee Grass lands are not just a shooting range. The reason why people leave their garbage out there is because it's public land.

So it's not a typical shooting range with benches and back stops etc...

But the great thing about shooting out there is that you can shoot as long of targets as you want! Ilive about 10 minutes away from where the majority of the shooting goes on out there. But i prefer todrive a ways to get off the beaten path and get away from the crowds.

10. dariuszczyszczon

can you send me a link or a map on where to go to shoot out there coming from fort collins?

11. long range dogr

I think JAX or sportsmans Warehouse in loveland cary pamplets on shooting in the grasslands.

I beleive that Wal Mart carries maps of the grasslands.

If your serious shoot me a pm maybe we can hook up?

12. ilscungilli

ilscungilli Well-Known Member

13. dariuszczyszczon

Thanks for the link to the map that is exactly what i was looking for planning on going up and meeting a couple of members up there. It makes it easy fro my i am only 35 minutes away at Fort Collins hotels, Comfort Inn hotel in Fort Collins Colorado Need to practice some long distance shots for my goat hunt this season.

14. long range dogr