Patience is a virtue...

Evilsports

...that I don't have. :)

Fellas,

I ordered a custom gun form a few weeks back and ended up settling with a HS Precision thumbhole sporter stock which they had in stock. It wasn't my number one pick, but I figured rather than wait 4-5 months to order a MacMillan A5 I'd make do and fine tune the thumbhole.

Fast forward to yesterday and my rifle shows up. Nice enough gun but I need to address a few things on it. LOP which I knew about when I tested the stock, but that's minor. More noticeable was a cheek weld ~1-1.5" too low. With a 20 moa rail and a 56mm scope it's just too much of a stretch. I'm about an inch from my chin just to pick up a field of view in the scope.

I don't know what all of my options are. The first one might be to have an adjustable cheek piece inletted into the stock right? Well I talked to one fellow and he was skeptical as to the possibility with the thumbhole stock as the thumbhole may interfere with it.

Another much more painful option would be to flush the money I paid for this stock, inletting, bedding etc. down the crapper and order and wait for a more suitable stock. I'm trying to avoid this option. :)

Does anybody have any other ideas?

Thank,
Kevin.

...that I don't have. :)

Fellas,

I ordered a custom gun form a few weeks back and ended up settling with a HS Precision thumbhole sporter stock which they had in stock. It wasn't my number one pick, but I figured rather than wait 4-5 months to order a MacMillan A5 I'd make do and fine tune the thumbhole.

Fast forward to yesterday and my rifle shows up. Nice enough gun but I need to address a few things on it. LOP which I knew about when I tested the stock, but that's minor. More noticeable was a cheek weld ~1-1.5" too low. With a 20 moa rail and a 56mm scope it's just too much of a stretch. I'm about an inch from my chin just to pick up a field of view in the scope.

I don't know what all of my options are. The first one might be to have an adjustable cheek piece inletted into the stock right? Well I talked to one fellow and he was skeptical as to the possibility with the thumbhole stock as the thumbhole may interfere with it.

Another much more painful option would be to flush the money I paid for this stock, inletting, bedding etc. down the crapper and order and wait for a more suitable stock. I'm trying to avoid this option. :)

Does anybody have any other ideas?

Defensive edge has a bolt on cheek piece that a lot of the fellows are using and it is simple to
install.

Look on his site and you will see it.

There are others also.

J E CUSTOM

J E is 100% correct.

I have one of Defensive Edge cheek piece on my 223AI and Shawn's bolt on cheek piece is not only very functional but it's simple and resonably priced. The stock on mine is also a HS Prec. but it's not a thumbhole.

This is what mine looks like with a Defensive Edge cheek piece.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 88
Throw a pic of your setup on here. I'd like to see it. Chad Dixon has the ability to do the adjustable cheek piece, out of the stock similar to the A-5 or Manners. He also makes his own hardware so no waiting for that. He will be doing just that on my Manners MCS-T5 shortly.

LongRifles, Inc.

There are also slip on buttstock cheek rest/ammo pouches available. But, 1.5" seems like a lot of gap to bridge.

eagle shooters stock pack is one that comes to mind. There are many others with various features/pros/cons.

-- richard

Here's a bunch:

DSC02888.jpg

DSC02887.jpg

DSC02886.jpg

DSC02885.jpg

DSC02889.jpg

DSC02893.jpg

DSC02892.jpg

DSC02891.jpg

DSC02890.jpg

Thanks for the advice fellas. I ordered one of the bolt on adjustable cheek pieces. I was in Bass Pro today and I also picked up a neoprene sleeve with foam inserts to tide me through. I'm thinking one of the two should get her dialed in.

Thanks again,
Kevin.

J E is 100% correct.

I have one of Defensive Edge cheek piece on my 223AI and Shawn's bolt on cheek piece is not only very functional but it's simple and resonably priced. The stock on mine is also a HS Prec. but it's not a thumbhole.

This is what mine looks like with a Defensive Edge cheek piece.

That looks perfect. Was your stock hollow? Any tips to drilling the holes?

Thanks.

There is a scope mounting video on this site. Done by a sniper, he uses a stock pack, with a simple wood spacer underneath, with 2 pins in wood to locate. Pack keeps it in place. Easy to remove for cleaning. I have Eagle packs on mine alone,but I dont need much gain

Evilsports

Yes, mine is hollow but if I recall it's not completely hollow. If I remember correctly, sorry I'm to lazy to go take it apart and look, that part of the stock is made up of these hollow like chambers not just a wide open hollow void.

Installation is so easy the only real tip I could pass on to you would be to follow J E Custom advice and order one of Defensice Edge cheek piece like I did.

I'm sure you could make something else work but DE cheek piece works so well and is very inexpensive as well as easy to install I couldn't imagine using anything else.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.