Pasture Poodle 220 Swift loads

Russ Vernon

Hi guys.

I am getting ready to work up some new loads for my freshly rebarreled 220 Swift. George Vais in Boise is installing a 28" Kreiger 1-14" twist barrel on my M700 this week along with one of his famous muzzle breaks, and I want to try out some of your favorite loads. I am going to limit myself to 40 to 55 grain bullets for the most part. Now I am no novice to the Swift, as i bought my first one over 30 years ago, but bullets and powders have changed since then, so maybe a few of you can send some of your best shooting loads my way?

Much Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys.

I am getting ready to work up some new loads for my freshly rebarreled 220 Swift. George Vais in Boise is installing a 28" Kreiger 1-14" twist barrel on my M700 this week along with one of his famous muzzle breaks, and I want to try out some of your favorite loads. I am going to limit myself to 40 to 55 grain bullets for the most part. Now I am no novice to the Swift, as i bought my first one over 30 years ago, but bullets and powders have changed since then, so maybe a few of you can send some of your best shooting loads my way?

Much Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I have a few if you have some time to read them.

I don't shoot over book maximums in my Swift but have been blessed with a rifle that shoots faster than most of my manual's posted speeds. I know I could step it up a bit but my brass life is excellent and accuracy is quite good for all the loads listed for this one rifle.

Well here goes

40 gn ballistic tip 46 grains H-414 Win case Win primer
4300 fps ave always under .5" for 5 shots

50 grn B Tip 44 grains H-414 Win Case Win primer around 4050 fps ave ( need to find notes ) .3's if I am shooting well

55 grn B Tip 44 grains H-4831 Win case Win primer
3600 fps ave groups in the .4's .

You could sub in the same weight V Maxes they shoot pretty good for me but the rifle prefers B Tips more than any thing else.

I am thinking hard about a .220 Ackley with a 28" tube and a twist that would work with 80-100's. I dont know what an Ackley would give for velocity. I would though dare to guess that something along those lines might be able to get 3000 fps or so with a 100 and with the Bc potential man would that reach a way way out there.

I wonder is a .220 Allen Mag a slim to no chance? ( Nudge Nudge Wink Wink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

I am new to the swift and have had some trouble getting what I wanted out of it. I worked up to Hyper's 50 grain load last week, only change I made was a Fed 215 mag primer. 3988 on a 20 degree day. I zero @ 300, shoots 2" high @ 100. puts 3 under 1 1/2" @300 with my my ssf 721. Shot a standing coyote Thursday in the heart at 300,he got almost up to full speed before an end over end turbo crash, This load has it all for me, speed and accuracy, thanks for sharing.

I used 38g IMR-4064 with a 55g btip to reach 3925fps and .3's at 100 yards. It shot very well out to 500 yards. Better then 40g and 50g bullets for longer range shooting. It was the bullet I stuck with most. I also used 38.5g IMR-4064 with 50g vmax and got 3900 and .2's. It was very accurate load, but I still liked the extra weight of the 55g and BC of it as well for the longer shots.

I grew up in Central Oregon and I smoked lots of critters with your guns smaller brother the 22-250. I used every bullet from 45 - 55 grain and I saw very little difference in the damage done to Jack rabits and Marrmonts. But I settled in on 55 grain bullets just for the BC. I know that you said 1:14 twist and that's perfect for 55 grain. But with your 28 inch and added HPower of the 220 I would try some 60 grain and see how they punch paper.

I'm going to make my annual trek this end of April up to S.D. for poodle hunting. I'm taking three guns .243's and .277's

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifGet out there and help the ranchers!

Well I now have another one that could be something with some testing. I just shot this one yesterday ( sunday)

Here it is

Same cases same primers

40 grains H-4350 50 grain V max
never shot it through the chrony so speed is ????

I never kept the targets but accuracy was 3/4" for 2 5 shots groups. Now the chalenge is to find a charge weight and oal combo that works. I did notice that this powder primer combo does not burn real clean and a switch to mag primers might be in order. That confuses me a bit as my 4831 load burns very clean. I am thinking that the 50 grain bullet being lighter leaves the case a bit faster and burning rate changes due to an increase in volume as the bullet moves down the barrel. I will have to try this with 55's and see if there is any difference in carbon fouling.
If 55's work the hell with the 50's not holding my breath but working it all out sure is a hell of alot of fun.

A bad days shootin is better than a good days workin.

[ QUOTE ]
I am new to the swift and have had some trouble getting what I wanted out of it. I worked up to Hyper's 50 grain load last week, only change I made was a Fed 215 mag primer. 3988 on a 20 degree day. I zero @ 300, shoots 2" high @ 100. puts 3 under 1 1/2" @300 with my my ssf 721. Shot a standing coyote Thursday in the heart at 300,he got almost up to full speed before an end over end turbo crash, This load has it all for me, speed and accuracy, thanks for sharing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not going to claim I have a clue ( at least not compared to a lot of the guys here) But I am thinking that a mag primer with 414 in 70 degree plus temps would put you about 2 grains higher pressure wise. My bestest buddy in the whole world shoots a swift in a ruger 77 . His cold weather load is 40 grns IMR 4064 and his warm weather load is 38-39 grains depending on temps. 40 grains in the summer is way way too hot for this gun. Now here is the kicker we were talking on the phone tonight and to the very best of his memory he figures he is getting close to 3000 rounds through this rifle. Well so much for the Swift being a barrel eater, rifle shoots 50 grain v max's into the .3's all the time. The guy on the trigger has a lot to do with it, one of the best shooters I have ever seen at the bench or the field. We now have a chalenge this year to make our ground hog shooting more difficult ( like I got a prayer to beat the SOB anyway) Out to 300 off hand only, 300-400 sitting with bypod and past 400 prone with bipod. We are both hoping to be able to make 500 yard kills this year. Might be a pipe dream for me but very doable for Bri.

Rusty, I have been working up loads for my 220 Swift for the past month. I have a Lilja 27" 1-14 twist on my rifle and it loves the 40 grn ballistic tips. I have tried 50 V-MAX, 55 GRN V-MAX and 55 GRN Ballistic tips. My rifle shoots those bullets pretty good, however, they do not compare to the 40 GRN Nosler Ballistic Tips. My friend and I went squirrrel killen this weekend and it was a blood bath. Any varmint within 600 yards was dead. That little 40 grn BT does wounders on those little critters. The Mist effect was incredible. This will be my dedicated load in this rifle. Here is my load info:
1. 43 grn's H414
2. 40grn Nosler Ballsitic Tip
3. Federal 210 Match Primers
4. Norma Brass
5. C.O.L is 2.654
6. Velocity is 4100 FPS
7. Cases have been prepped ie, primer pockets uniformed, flash holes cleaned, brass polished, trimmed and loaded rounds checked for run out.
My best groups, with these loads, are as followed; First three shot group at 100 yards measured .196 and the second three shot group measured .156. Here is my rifle info, Remington 700 Action trued in a Speedy Gonzalez Sleeve and blue printed to a Lilja 27" 1-14 Twist, .925 at the muzzle with Holland brake, McMillan A-4, Jewell 2oz Trigger, Kelby rings and topped with a Nightforce 5.5x22x56mm NXS. The load info mentioned above shoots very flat and accurate, let me know how it works in your rifle. I bet your swift will love the 40 grn bullets too. Good luck, Wildcat.

Persoanlly I shoot 40.0 grs. of Reloader 15 with a 55 grn. Sierra Blitz King. 5 shots at 100 yards average in about .25" if I am shooting good. This loads runs in at about 3800-3900 FPS out of my 26" Rem varmiter. Cart overall length is 2.770", with a CCI Standard large rifle primer. Federal brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.