Parralax

Joefrazell

I've been working up a load and I went out yesterday to test a perticular load and seating depth with 10 rds. Wanted to shoot two five shot groups. Anyways, I shot the first five at 310 yrds and the second at 470 yrds.

Looking at the first target I shot the group at 310 just at moa for 5 shots. It was right at a 3" group which i knew i screwed a couple shota up. 3 shots were under .5 moa.

So, the second group I felt good about all 5 shots at 470 yrds. But upon getting to the target and measuring it was not a good group. About 2 moa. About a 8" group! Not happy at all I went home and tried to figure out what to do next. This morning at about 3am lying in bed it dawned on me that I never adjusted my parralax for my second group at 470 yrds!

Has anyone ever done this and noticed the same results? Im assuming this group would have been much better if I'd adjusted my parralax. What do you guys think?

Better? Maybe, much better.. doubtful. There are too many factors w/ such limited info, but I doubt your parallax was what made you shoot a full moa worse especially after [I'm assuming] it was set at 310yds.

Yes it was set for 310 yrds. I just am confused on why it opened up so much. I was hoping to blame the parralax lol. I suppose I'll need to make up another 10 rounds and shoot again to see what happens

What caliber? What kind of conditions? Rest? Scope power? Vertical disbursement? Lots of things going on.

It's a sendero in .300 win. I'm shooting 210 vld's just touching the lands. 76 gr. Of h1000 with hornady brass. Winchester lr primers.

Scope is a vortex viper hslr 4-16x44. Shooting was on 16 power.

Conditions were 80 degrees with no wind.

Rest is a pillow with a towel in front and a sweater in the back. I know it sounds funny but been shooting this way for years.

Not sure what you mean by vertical dispursment? Thanks

I've been working up a load and I went out yesterday to test a perticular load and seating depth with 10 rds. Wanted to shoot two five shot groups. Anyways, I shot the first five at 310 yrds and the second at 470 yrds.

Looking at the first target I shot the group at 310 just at moa for 5 shots. It was right at a 3" group which i knew i screwed a couple shota up. 3 shots were under .5 moa.

So, the second group I felt good about all 5 shots at 470 yrds. But upon getting to the target and measuring it was not a good group. About 2 moa. About a 8" group! Not happy at all I went home and tried to figure out what to do next. This morning at about 3am lying in bed it dawned on me that I never adjusted my parralax for my second group at 470 yrds!

Has anyone ever done this and noticed the same results? Im assuming this group would have been much better if I'd adjusted my parralax. What do you guys think?

paralax usually has more effect at closer distance...but can still effect precision at 300 and 400 yards..
also be prepared to take responsibility for your own shooting errors. There are more people on here that talk a big game about being a sub moa shooter then what matches reality.

Last edited:

Yep, parallax errors multiply as range increases.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts