Parker Hale ?

rolltide

Hey guys,

Between meetings last week, I stopped by a small gun shop and saw a Parker Hale Varmint rifle in .243 I liked the Weatherby-like stock and heavy barrel, but I've never heard anybody talk about owning or shooting Parker Hale rifles. According to the Blue Book, this rifle was discontinued in 1988.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with them.

Thanks,

Chris

Parker Hales, were made in England I believe and were good reliable rifles.I have one in 300 Win. Mag. that I bought used with an old Weaver AccuTrac scope.The rifle is stock and has not had any bedding or trigger work done,Yet in still shoots FACTORY loads from 3/4" 7/8' at 100 yards and I have no trouble shooting clay pegeons at 300 yards.
A typical group...........
[image]
HuntingPicturesfrom2006001.jpg
[/image]

I have the same rifle (1200V) in 6mm Rem and I love it. I have had it for about 4 years, and have floated and bedded it, tuned the trigger and had a gunsmith shave the rear base to level them out on the action (check alignment on the bases!).

As a 1200 V (varmint) model, your .243 will likely have a 1 in 10" twist barrel (Mine has a 1-10" twist or thereabouts), so it should do well for a variety of bullet weights up to about 100 grain.

I have been shooting 70 gr SMK's and some days they go 1/2 MOA and less, others days 1 MOA...it has not been terribly consistent, but 1MOA has been easy. I suspect this may have more to do with the RL 19 powder I use than the rifle. Also, my bore is very rough from the factory, so cleaning the barrel to bare metal seems to open up groups. Mine likes at least 20 rounds down the tube before it starts to shoot well. I am currently working on some load development for this rifle, as I absolutely love shooting it. I am working towards a consistent 1/2 MOA load.

Either way, I love this rifle and I am looking forward to rebarreling it one day with a custom tube in 6 mm Rem. This action (designed around the 7mm Mauser) was tailor made for the 6 mm Rem (same case). You can seat the bullet way out there with no limitations with mag length. One thing is for sure, I will not even consider selling mine.

Hope that helps

DP,

Any chance you could post some pics of your rifle? I can't find anything showing a model number on the rifle, but judging from the blue book, I think it is the same model.

Take care,

Chris

The factory Parker Hale heavy barrel is the 1200V. It has a gold plated trigger, heavy barrel, open sights (mine have been removed) and the stock as shown (with palm swell). I love this rifle...
P5090219.jpg

DP,

Thanks for posting the pic. The rifle I have been looking at looks just like yours, except the bolt is polished. It almost looks chrome it's so bright. That is the only thing that has bothered me about it. It just doesn't fit with the rest of the rifle.

Thanks again,

Chris

My bolt was polished as well. I added some cold blue to it and it now looks as in the photos. Don't sweat the small stuff. It is a very nice rifle.

Hi there,
I,ve just joined the group and found this. I have just picked up a .243 1200V for £100. It's a great gun. Looks good, sits good and shoots good. Cheap too! I know this is an older post but I was wondering how you are getting on with yours, if you bought it?

I've had a PH Pro stalker for a few years now in .243. It was a dog to set up with a decent scope as the comb didn't allow for high mounted eye relief and too low a mount meant fouling the bolt. I've eventually sorted it with a 30mm meopta a Hogue stock and a comb raiser. It's S/N 001 of the last batch they made and I'll like as not keep it until it or me dies.

Not the best built rifle I've ever owned but nice to shoot.

Yeah but aren't we behind you guys by a couple of years with everything?:rolleyes::D

Gubby, half a post each and you've dropped me in it. How bloody British:cool::)

Ah, we may be behind, but that's because a craftsman takes longer:D
I know, it can be a curse being British, but we have broad shoulders:cool::D

gun)i have a parker hale 6mmREM and looking for a piece for the gun and cant find it anywhere anyone know where i can find a floor blate latch for a Parker Hale 6mmREM
Hey guys,

Between meetings last week, I stopped by a small gun shop and saw a Parker Hale Varmint rifle in .243 I liked the Weatherby-like stock and heavy barrel, but I've never heard anybody talk about owning or shooting Parker Hale rifles. According to the Blue Book, this rifle was discontinued in 1988.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with them.

Thanks,

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.