Painting a stock-input needed

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by crittrgittr, Sep 7, 2011.

1. crittrgittr

crittrgittr Well-Known Member

I'm going to be painting a stock and was wondering what kind of advice any of you might have. Do any of you have pics of your projects and what works best? I''m thinking of a grey base seeing I hunt mostly in oaks. Thanks for any input.

2. hatfield954

hatfield954 Well-Known Member

Wood or synthetic?

3. 3fingervic

3fingervic Well-Known Member

I painted a rusty 870. It turned out okay. I would suggest starting with the lightest color first and the darkest last. I started with tan, then green and finished dark brown. You would probably start with a gray.

4. Time Killer

Time Killer Well-Known Member

I've done several. Webbing is a easy job. Put on 3-5 coats of your grey, then web, then 3-5 coats of matte clear. Make sure practice with the webbing first as it comes out kinda goofy if your not used to it. If you wanna get crazy you can get some stencils. My son wanted a digital camo and I homemade some stencils. It came out ok, but would have been easier to just buy the stencils. If you just want solid, go for it. It's really not that hard.
    Good luck!

5. Time Killer

Oh, I forgot. I always use several coats of primer first.

6. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Yep.

[​IMG]

Cerakote sand base and plastikote flat camo black shaded in on top.

Hunting in oaks depending on the type you might want to go with something like a flat dark earth and then sniper gray and charcoal.

7. Korhil78

Korhil78 Well-Known Member

Haha...I was looking at the gun so intently that I didn't even notice the bobcat hanging from the mesquite until the second look!

8. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Well God and a few million years of evolution did his camouflage job and he is in the shade... .gun)

9. Nimrod1203

Nimrod1203 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I did this with just Krylon. Started with the brown, then did black, olive green stripes to break it up even more, then light light tan as highlights on the "branches" which would work nicely for the oaks. This was my first job, and i just followed the steps highlighted on the forums here. it's like "how to paint a rifle stock" or something. Like i said, far from pro, but effective none the less. just have fun with it. best thing about Krylon, you can re-do it.
    Nimrod

10. Time Killer

Here are a few

Attached Files:

11. crittrgittr

I forgot to mention it is synthetic. Thanx for all the responses. Sure are some cool paint jobs you all did. Please keep them coming.

12. crittrgittr

bump for more input

13. rcdinaz

rcdinaz Well-Known Member

I have done a couple of guns but dont have pics taken yet. Good advice already I would add that the last color you lay down will be the dominant color. This is important if you use more than two colors because as you use the stencils all you are seeing is the last color you apply.