Pact 1 vs. CED Millenium???

lovdasnow

I've read a bunch of posts, and can't decide. There are some cheap pacts on ebay, but I almost ordered a CED Millenium with IR screens...just can't decide.

I would like the Ohler 35, but can't justifying spending the money on those.

your input would be appreciated....so either pact vs, CED with IR screen...?

thanks

I've got the CED and have been happy. I haven't had a bit of trouble w/it. The IR screens will ensure that it never lets you down.

Re: Chrony

I have Chrony F1 master. WHats the kind of acceptable variation between loads? I load 25-06 for hunting and can get variances of 50-100 fps across shots. I weigh each powder charge , trim cases, do primer pockets and flash holes. I don't wiegh bullets, just use Nosler Ballistic tips and match primers.I get 3000, 3050, 3100 sort of fps readings across my ammo. IS this ok?

kb,i have a chrony too.i had the same problem you have.i was setting the unit too close to the gun's muzzle.i now set it about 10 feet out.made a big difference in velocity spread. jason /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a crony as well. Has beeen working for me ok for 3 years. Does all I need it to do, show me velocities. My crony seems to work just fine. Set it out 8-10 feet, according to how big of a gun your shooting that day, and make sure your shooting in good light conditions. My crony showed me 2962, 2962, 2964, and 2668 for 4 shots with my dads 7 mag the other day. My 222 has a maximum spread of 10 fps, the good loads out of my 25-06 show me 15 for a maximum deviation. I dont know about most, but my crony has worked for me over the years. I'm happy with it considering I paid $70 for it. You just need to find the real sweet spot to see your deviations go down, or try different powders, sometimes that makes all the difference in the world as well. example being, in my 270 I was using imr-4350 for most my loads at first, but found my deviation was as much as 80fps. I then switched to h4831sc and my deviation was down to 25fps. You can have an accurate load with 50-75 fps, but it will not be as accurate at long range. Usually, low deviation loads are the ones you want to look for in long range shooting.

thanks for the replys, sounds like rem 06 might have the only working chrony out there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, saying that not from personal experiance but from stuff I've read. I'm not considering the chrony in my choice only because of all the neg feedback I've heard.

All I keep hearing is suck it up and buy the oehler 35, and I can say it's starting to stick in my head. I still like the idea of the CED with the IR....

thanks

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the replys, sounds like rem 06 might have the only working chrony out there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, saying that not from personal experiance but from stuff I've read. I'm not considering the chrony in my choice only because of all the neg feedback I've heard.

All I keep hearing is suck it up and buy the oehler 35, and I can say it's starting to stick in my head. I still like the idea of the CED with the IR....

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can you still get a 35????

have you ever compared it to a 35? i guess one of the main things I'm worried about is the accuracy of the readings. Say actual velocity was 2500, and the 35 read 2500, 2505, 2495 on 3 shots, and the ced read 2450, 2455, 2450. The ced will tell me the SD's and so on, but would not be able to base drop charts off of it..

I guess what I'm saying is that I want to able to trust my chrono, and not second guess it. Believe me, I would rather buy a CED than an Oehler if they are indeed an accurate chrono.

How does your ced corrispond with your drop charts, or do you jsut shoot at all distances?

thanks, jon

Never set it up side by side w/an Oehler but can tell you that I have chronographed the same load out of the same gun on both an Oehler 35 and the CED. Of course the condidtions were different but I there was about 10-15 fps difference in the two averages w/the CED being faster.

As far as shooting @ all distances, yes I do. I just look @ the chrono and computer program as a way to get close. Then I tweak the program to match my actual drops as closely as possible.

While ballistics programs are a great tool, it is important to remember that they are just that. I guarantee if you hand a guy a rifle, some shells, a palm, a chrono and a BC of the bullet he won't get a one shot hit on a 10" cirle @ 1000 yds and the brand of chrono won't make one bit of difference. Unless, of course, he's as lucky as Lerch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

With all that said, the CED as gotten me very close when shooting blind. I've had to tweak it some but no more than you would w/any other chrono, IMO. I'm not telling the Oehler is not a fine machine, it is. In fact, it's probably the best. I'm just telling you I'm happy w/my CED /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

My wife bought me Beta Chrony for my birthday a few years back and I wasn't happy with it. Sold it and bought me a Pact Professional. Been using it for 3 years and work like a charm.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.