Pack gun need some help

Terrytf

I was thinking of getting a pack gun . thinking a lever 44mag or 45 might even get a 45-70 . A buddy runs dogs for bear and cat so I would use it to go out with him. along with going out on other hunts with it in my pack . I will leave it open sites no scope . What would be the best one and why ?

For that kind off hunting all you need is a 44 mag revolver, guyhs I went with usede a 22 mag, less pelt damage

I would look at a winchester 94 trapper in 44mag. They are short and handy and a blast to shoot.

I started thinking the bigger cal. would do some major pelt damage . but talked to a guy last night and picked up a 45-70 and a 444 marlin for 500.00 for both he was going to talk to his brother and see if he wanted to get rid of the 45 and 30-30 he has . if I pick up all 4 for 1k I think that's a pretty good deal. the 45-70 cam with a box of ammo 4 shot and thats all that has been thrue it and about 2 boxes out of the 444 .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.