Pac-Nor barrels??

Daniel Ludwig

alot of people here have reccomended pac nor barrels to me, and i must admit they do fit my pricerange quite well, so i thought id ask for the opinions of some members that are using their barrels. so if you have any input, good or bad, i would like to hear.
Daniel J. Ludwig

I had one on a big custom rifle, 28#'s, 1.45" tapering to 1.25" at 32.5", 30/338 Lapua Imp. It shot quite a few .25moa 3 shot groups at 300yds and averaged less than moa 10 shot groups at 1000yds, best was around 8". It copper fouled more than I thought it should but I was shooting a 240gr bullet being pushed by almost 100grs of powder so that might have something to do with it. I think for the money they are a good barrel and would use them again.
Wayne

Dan,
I have several Pac-Nor barrel's and several other's from Hart to shilen, Pac-Nor is as good or better than any other barrel I have ever tried, 1st rate. I'm sure that your gunsmith will have his own pet brand though.
B

This year projects I had a Pac-Nor,Shilen and Broughton barrels installed all SS select or super match barrels and was disappointed in the Pac-Nor as I've got their barrels in 22cal and 30cal. This one took abit longer to break in and was tough to clean. Had to double check and make sure it was a super match. I have to say that Broughton is a good barrrel as this was the first time I've used one and the Shilen as always just a good shooter. I have a pretty good understanding with the guy who chambers for me he doesn't have a problem with me getting my own barrels so I'm not locked into his guy. Any future projects I'm going with Broughton,Lilja or Kreiger barrels. In 30 cal I've been shooting a Lilja 3groove 1/10 twist and it's a pretty good one also.

[ 12-06-2004: Message edited by: roper ]

i think Kirby's endorsement sold me, im gonna go with the Pac Nor, gonna order a 28" 4 taper, 3 groove 1-12 twist. should help me squeeze all the velocity i can out of a '06AI. i think im just gonna have them crown thread and short chamber it, then just finish fit and headspace when i get it. according to their site that should run about $324 i think before shipping. that is hard to beat in my book.
thanks for the replies
Daniel J. Ludwig

Dan inWV,

It is no secret that I prefer to use Lilja barrels but for my new Allen Magnums in 257 and 277 that will require 1-8" twists for the very heavy for caliber bullets we will be using, I have several Pac Nor Super Match barrels on order simply because Lilja does not offer these twist rates and the qualtiy of the Pac-Nors is top grade.

So to answer your question, I am willing to stake my rounds and rifles reputation on Pac Nor Super Match Stainless Steel barrels.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen (50)

Dan,

My endorsement and confidence comes mainly from the fact that Darryl Holland, the fine rifle builder in Oregon uses only Pac-Nor Super Match barrels on his V-Block tactical rifles and I have seen the results.

In talking with him about them for use on my projects, I feel totally comfortable using these barrels.

Like I said though, if Lilja offered the twist I needed in 257 and 270, I would be using Lilja barrels exclusively.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

One last comment, the key to any barrel performing to its top capabilities is a proper barrel break in. If it take 100 rounds, so be it.

In my experience, far to many shooters rush the barrel break in process and the result is a barrel that copper fouls more then it should.

I recommend a 50 round barrel break in proceedure to my customers, even with the Lilja barrels I generally use which will polish up on averge in 10 to 15 firing.

Here is the proceedure:

Fire two rounds and clean, fire two rounds and clean. Do this for a total of ten cycles or 20 rounds down the barrel.

Then shot three rounds and clean, three rounds and clean for another 10 cycles or 30 rounds total.

I have yet to see a barrel need more then this but if they do, take as long as you need.

One hint to breaking in a barrel. Most use the cheapest bullets around which is fine but these are also generally the lightest bullets around as well.

Actually using a heavy for caliber bullet will get you more bang for your buck because there is more baring surface working for you on teh bore finish. This is just a theory of mine but it seems to work.

With a 30 cal barrel, it seems that a 180 to 200 gr pill will polish up a bore in fewer shots then a 150 class bullet will.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

What barrel are you using in .257 cal. that Lilja does not offer?
Also, I noticed that your cleaning procedure is different than both Lilja and Pac-Nor both recommend, are you using the wet patch and brush method for your break-in process?

Thanks,

Jim Shulin

I ordered a 1-8 twist Pac Nor Super Match barrel in both 257 and 270 for testing purposes. I also have Lilja barrels on order in 1-10 twist to compare them.

Right now I am not sure if the 1-8s will be needed but I will be testing them with the 145 gr ULD as well as the 150 and 160 gr Bonded Core FBHPs in the 257. The computer model is saying these bullets will need a 1-8 twist so I am just covering my rear just in case the 1-10 does not do it.

To be honest, the only bullet I am really thinking may need this spin is the 145 gr ULD with the B.C. of .730.

Still the computer says the 145 gr FBSP need a 1-8" twist as well and it is shooting sub 1/2 moa groups out of the 1-10 twist 257 STW rifles so I will be suprised if the slightly longer 150 and 160 gr pills will need much more twist with the extra 200 fps the Allen Magnums will offer over the STW.

My process is different then Dans and I have used all three and they all work equally well. I have found my method is a bit quicker at cleaning the bore out and when I am out on the range this time of year in Montana, I appreciate a method as quick as I can get.

I also save on supply costs using my method and have gotten identical results as Dans and Pac-Nors system. I do highly recommend the Butches Bore Shine as Dan recommends. IT is very good stuff, just use it in well ventilated areas as it give me a headache if I sniff to many of its fumes.

You can not go wrong using any of the three methods. I just developed mine because it is quicker then the others. Faster is certainly not always better but I have been getting results that as far as I can tell are identical to Dans results.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
i talked to my gunsmith and he says he can swing me a deal on a Lilja, is there any particular grade barrel i should go for?
thanks again
Daniel Ludwig

Dan,

The nice thing about Lilja barrels is that only one grade of barrel gets out of his door and that is world class BR quality, nothing less. YOu should see the pile of barrels that would meet most barrel makers grade for "Match Quality" that are simply returned for scrape metal because they are not good enough to be shipped out.

Every rifle that is shipped out of his shop has the potential to cut one hole groups I assure you.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

thats what i like to hear!!
have you started development on the .30 cal Allen Mag yet?
looking at the RUM, wondering if you had any info yet on your 30 cal round.
later
Daniel J. Ludwig

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.