PAC-NOR barrels Quailty or just average

reed mosser

I am going to build a gun to shoot Richards custom .224 100 grain wildcat bullets. I have been looking for barrel options with the right twist and groove. From kirbys comments I think I want to go with a 3 groove barrel on this project. Pac nor makes a 3 groove 6.5 or 7 twist barrel. To stablize these 100 grain bullets I think the 6.5 twist would be ideal. If the 100 gr won't shoot I still shoot the new sierra 90 grain or richards lighter bullets. Let me know what you think of Pac-nor , if I am wasting my time I will try a hart or BROUGHTON barrel. The main reason I am thinking pac nor is because of a 6.5 twist with 3 groove barrel. Also they pre chamber for very reasonible price for a savage. Also any comments on barrel length for 22-250 ack or 22-243 ack I was thinking 28 to 30 inches. Am i on the right track for cartidge barrel length and twist for this project. I not the most knowledgable person with long range shooting I only been at it 3 years and I am only 21. I need opions from you guys that have been at it a lot longer than me. Thanks Reed

I have some Pac/Nor barrels and they shoot great I mean sub-sub minute most of my friends shoot these as well and theirs shoot great too.Chris at Pac/Nor can tell you what you need as well as any relevant question to the building of your barrel.I have one friend who has several dozen Pac/Nor barrels and they all are shooters. Having made the statements above I have only had experience with Pac/Nor,Douglas,Hart and Shaw barrels and that really doesn't qualify me as all that knowledgeable,
ask around, there are several fellows on this forum that build rifles day in and day out and they can give you a much better opinion on this matter.

How do you think the pac nor compares to hart. sounds like they shoot. I have douglas and benchmark barrels that shot very very well. But they don't have the twist and grooves I want. also my luck is going to run out as far as lucking into good shooting barrels. I rather spend a little more money and take the luck out of it. Thanks your info it helped me out greatly.

I do not own nor have I ever fired a PAC-NOR barrel but I have done a fair ammount of research on barrels and what other people like. I will someday build a custom rifle in .280 Ackley improved and it will have a PAC-NOR barrel. The people that do own and shoot them seem to think they are the bees knees and often at a very reasonable price.

There is no "best" brand but there are a number of great brands and from what I have found PAC-NOR is right in with the top makers.

I believe the Pac/Nor barrels are as good or better than Hart. I think you can spend as much on a barrel as you would like and not get a better barrel than the Pac/Nor.

Thats what I think good barrel is a good barrel reguardless of price. I have had excellent luck with benchmark barrels but pac nor will the barrel for my 6.5 twist 224 to shoot 100 grain bullets. Thanks

i'm going to order a barrel as soon as Richard gets his 100 grain bullet die's in. And tells me what twist. I think the 6.5 twist will work fine, Thanks

I've had a bunch of 6.5 twist 224 barrels from PacNor. I shoot 90 JLKs(sierra makes them now?????) and the pac nors shoot them extremely well in a 223 rem 20 inch tube.

I have talked a lot with Kirby also. For a much larger rifle for other purposes than match shooting, I'm going with what he has the best luck with. You can't argue accuracy results.

All this being said I don't doubt that one particular barrel brand and how its rifled, twist, number of grooves etc... may match perfectly to one particular bullet, while another bullet wants something a bit different.

Last thought, my 6.5s shoot anywhere from 52s at 3200 fps up to 90s at 2800 fps without a hitch. No blowups etc... And they shoot 80s as well as 90s. I just can win more stuff a lot easier with 90s at 600 and beyond than I can with 80s. The 90s are my crutch.

Jeff

I have to say I have a little concern about Pac-Nor barrels more and more lately, not saying I wouldn't use one, just that I have still yet to see one shoot in the consistant .3's or under like the Hart or Lilja barrels. So far I've only seen about .5 MOA average from them, and never have seen any real evidence that other people get any better than this either. In contrast, it's pretty easy to see the stats in BR or 1k BR and who the top barrel mfg's really are. Pac-Nor has been around for quite a long time now, and it's surprising to see there are not more competetive shooters using them, surprising or disconcerting at the same time.

My brother just got 2 30 cal Pac-Nor's for the 30-338 Lapua's him and a buddy are building LR rigs with, so I'll see how they shoot here soon. I think I'll go to Hart, Krieger, Lilja or Shilen though. I just don't think I've ever seen a Pac-Nor shoot down in the .1's or .2's, and if so, it wasn't anything but a fluke. Very consistant .4's and .5's is about what I'd expect from them, maybe worse, because I've seen that a lot too. In my mind, at this point, they are a step up from a factory barrel in consistancy and accuracy, as well as cleaning up better, but I still am left with the impression they are not quite up to benchrest level accuracy that some of the others are, and proven to be. It would take a lot of proof to sway me otherwise at this point. JMO

I personally know of dozens of Pac/Nor barrels that will shoot.3's and better I own two of them and five or more friends own the others.I wonder if there are anyone else beside me and my friends that have a Pac/Nor barrel that will shoot in the .3's or better? (and several of these are
.338 cal magnums).I've seen enough of these barrels shoot well that I will continue to purchase them!! And we aren't
benchrest shooters but we enjoy a rifle that will shoot well.The main thing about an accurate rifle is the part between the stock and trigger(shooter).If you have the best of the best and the fellow operating this rifle is an average shooter with average skill the rifle will respond accordingly.It takes a high level of concentration to shoot small groups. (quality rifle and ammo a given)

I agree. I have shot many groups at 100 yards in the .2's and a few in the .1" range with a non-benchrest caliber. I would really like to have a ppc on a Pac-nor to see what it could really do.

How old are you sparky. You have either too much time or money on your hands. A jungster (that is sweedish for "youngster") like you that has all this shooting experience and hunting adventures should really consider a real full time job and a family with lots of kids so the rest of us don't feel so out of the game. "Oh I've owned 14 pacnor bbls and they shot just as well as the dozen hart and lilja bbls i've owned. Heck I shot nothing but pacnor bbls one year and they worked awesome even though I only got to kill 4 mountain goats, 3 bears, 24 deer, and 16 coyotes and one lousy elk at EIGHT HUNDRED AND TWENTY FRICKING YARDS. But that was sooo last year. Now I'm trying to send a bullet to mars."

Dude, really now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I was asking my wife just this evening at dinner what you could possibly have planned next. I mean once you get a chuck at 2K then what are you going to do?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.