Pac-Nor 3 groove 7mm

CraigB

I'm thinking about a 7mm WSM rifle. Does the 3 groove barrel offer any real advantages. The last barrel I puchased from Pac-Nor is a great shooter, just wanted some opinions on groove pattern and twist. I plan on shooting 162 A-max and 168 Bergers, and maybe some 120Vmax's for groudhogs. Thanks

The 3 goove barrels are supposed to last longer than the other barrels with more lands and grooves , supposedly the 3 large lands don't wear as fast as the 6 and 8 goove tubes. They are harder on light jacket bullets especialy if your running a fast twist high pressure round , Kirby had mentioned this several times.

I'm not to sure if their is any scientific evidence to back the longer barrel life up but alot of guys swear buy them.
I've also heard that the 5R barrels will last alot longer than regular rifled barrel.
I know that the Polyoganal rifled barrel will last longer as their are no lands and grooves to wear out. I have never heard anything positive about Pac-Nor's poly rifled barrels so beware.
Personaly I have owned a few Pac-Nors and several other barrels from other big name makers and from now on my barrels will be either a Rock Creek or Kreiger or Lilja unless I try a new company out. You get spoiled afer owning a true quality lapped barrel.

CraigB,
I had a 7wsm built last year, great round. 1-9" twist will work with 160 AB,162 A-Max,168 and 180 Berger. anything other than 3 groove.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.