PA woodchuck fest Hunt #1

JUDD

Well the hunt seemed to be a success. I'm pretty sure we all had a good time
Myself and Kevin both have some photos we can post up later.

By the time I left at around 6:30 I would say we prolly had about 50 shots sent across the feilds and if I'm not mistaken 1 dead chuck...and also one really dead cornstalk and a very very scared clump of dirt! we had shots ranging from 250yds out to just about 1k.

We had a total of 7 guys at one time hunting and an arsenal of weaponry that was nothing short of astonishing...we figured about 30k sitting on bags and bipods...From 6mm to .338 calibers

I personally got to shoot the famous cheytac of Joels once again and also his new 30-416 rigby...both amazing to say the least, I squeezed off his .284 baer also. I shot Kevins 338-378 weatherby and also my personal 6mm-284.

Allot of very very near misses. But like Kevin say's they are groundhogs they are small..if they were deer 95% of our shots would have been kills...well except for the bullet dodgin 250yd chuck that might I say we all had missed at least once!:D

I deemed this hunt the unofficial "BUG DAY" for everyone to knock the dust off. Like I said we will post up some pics later!

Lookin forward to Hunt#2....get ready boys!gun)

Oh I left the grill at home so no cooked hogs this year! We wanted Bob to stay all day!!:)

Here are a couple of pictures.

I got up at 4:00 in the morning and drove up to Cabelas in Hamburg and bought a pair of Danner Pronghorn GTX boots and a hard case for Marylou. Then I drove backwards for an hour and a half to the Buckhorn truckstop.

As I said before, the display of optics and guns is worth the drive. There were some really beautiful and some not so beautiful but impressive rifles. I saw the bubinga wood rifle and Kevin had an F-class 308 in a Russo stock that was truly unique.

I am kinda like a hot dog that didn't get turned on the grill. The sun was from one direction all afternoon and I am sunburned on the left side only.

I would offer some advice for the next group. Don't get suckered into shooting at Mr Lucky. Even though he is only 250 yards away he is protected by a force field that causes bullets to fly 4-5 MOA high. Let others shoot at him but don't embarrass yourself by believing you can actually hit him.

The other thing that was interesting was the updraft of about 1 MOA. Nearly ever bullet was high.

I was so tired driving home and did not know if I would make it. I finally got home about 12:15. It was a fun day and I enjoyed seeing everyone again.

PaGhogs1.jpg

PaGhogs.jpg

A good time was had by all.

Thanks to JUDD and Kevin for inviting us and putting it together. BB is right about the amount of firepower and quality of optics that we bring to these critter shoots. I sent Kevin some pictures, so I'm sure he'll give us a full report soon.

It was nice seeing everyone again, too bad they don't let BB out more often, he's quite a hoot.:)

Here are some photos from our Hunt #1 of 2009.

Here's BuffaloBob
woodchuckhunt004.jpg

Here's BuffaloBob's 240 Weatherby
woodchuckhunt005.jpg

Here's Joel Russo's 338-408
woodchuckhunt003.jpg

Here's 2 photos of the woodchuck arsenal
woodchuckhunt001.jpg

woodchuckhunt002.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.