PA. Votes NO

Waynzee

PA. Game commision votes NO to semi auto's for big game hunting, this includes Elk, Bear, Deer and Turkey. This in large is due to the poll taken and older hunters not wanting to change.:rolleyes:

I'm OK with it. I'm sure there are a few who hunt deer with a .223, but I'm sure most hunt with something considerably larger. You can absolutely take a deer with a 223 with good shot placement, but the insurance of a larger gun,in my opinion, far outweighs the ability to pepper a deer with 223. I know you can use an AR10/AK, but how many people want to drag those around the woods? And what percentage of deer hunters actually own an AR10? (honest question)

I'm glad to see PA slowly making positive changes, no all they need to do is allow Sunday hunting...at least until noon.....

The AR -15 comes in dozens of calibers. They could have said no to the 223 for deer, elk and bear. Just when they needed more license sales they continue to live in the Stone Age. Guess I'll use my new Aero Precision 308 for targets in PA and to kill animals in dozens of other states.

I doubt that shooting deer with a .223 was at issue. It would be easy to set a minimum cartridge/power level.

I'd bet it had more to do with the concern that a spray-and-pray mentality could develop in a few shooters resulting in a bad image for all hunters.

Just a guess. :)

I don't think allowing semi autos or Sunday hunting would increase licence sales.
Did allowing cross bows help license sales, or just convert more hunters over to archery?
No doubt the loss of the pheasants affected sales, but otherwise its been a gradual shift
in what people conceive to be important to them.
Fact is a week at a deer camp someplace has become less so to more and more of them.
Semi autos and Sunday hunting would allow more options, but it wont increase the basic interest required to promote hunting.
Hey, now I can go on Sundays and use my AR, game on, I think ill start hunting. lol.

I don't think allowing semi autos or Sunday hunting would increase licence sales.
Did allowing cross bows help license sales, or just convert more hunters over to archery?
No doubt the loss of the pheasants affected sales, but otherwise its been a gradual shift
in what people conceive to be important to them.
Fact is a week at a deer camp someplace has become less so to more and more of them.
Semi autos and Sunday hunting would allow more options, but it wont increase the basic interest required to promote hunting.
Hey, now I can go on Sundays and use my AR, game on, I think ill start hunting. lol.

No, that's not the way I've seen it or heard it where I live sales would go up on guns and ammo. Young people would be more apt to go hunting with a cool rifle other than that old lever gun your great grandpa had, and to me there is nothing wrong with hunting with any rifle. But these young guys want something different, think back when you started hunting and be honest with yourself what kind of rifle did you want? The game commision is crying about loss of young hunters well guess what they just screwed up again. And yes, it would have increased the basic interest required to promote hunting.

Fudds or as P. O. Ackley calls them in his books: "the .30-30 Fraternity"...

MD doesn't allow Sunday hunting for all seasons either - stupid. We can at least use modern auto loaders invented in the late 1890s...

Good Luck

Jerry

Fudds or as P. O. Ackley calls them in his books: "the .30-30 Fraternity"...

MD doesn't allow Sunday hunting for all seasons either - stupid. We can at least use modern auto loaders invented in the late 1890s...

Good Luck

Jerry

Yep, unfortunately PA. is a state that has a lot of the 30-30 fraternity. Sad thing is most of them think that's the only firearm you need to hunt with.

I doubt there would be many 30/30 fans roaming around on this site.
I think most of those guys switched over to the silent version, (cross bows) anyway. lol
But I guess the weekend warrior brown goes down crowd will have to bide their time some more.
By the way, are you aware of the fact that PA has the 2nd largest population of senior adults (fogeys), in the country?
And just think, without them there would even be far less licenses sold, and far more empty camps during deer season.

No, that's not the way I've seen it or heard it where I live sales would go up on guns and ammo. Young people would be more apt to go hunting with a cool rifle other than that old lever gun your great grandpa had, and to me there is nothing wrong with hunting with any rifle. But these young guys want something different, think back when you started hunting and be honest with yourself what kind of rifle did you want? The game commision is crying about loss of young hunters well guess what they just screwed up again. And yes, it would have increased the basic interest required to promote hunting.

Exactly well said +1 and whatever other way I can agree!!!!

I doubt there would be many 30/30 fans roaming around on this site.
I think most of those guys switched over to the silent version, (cross bows) anyway. lol
But I guess the weekend warrior brown goes down crowd will have to bide their time some more.
By the way, are you aware of the fact that PA has the 2nd largest population of senior adults (fogeys), in the country?
And just think, without them there would even be far less licenses sold, and far more empty camps during deer season.

Yep, and that 2nd largest population of (fogeys) better wake up and get off their comfortable asses and give the young population some good reasons to hunt or someday very soon we'll all be hunting with slingshots.
PA. had a golden opportunity to further advance hunting and gun rights and the vote was no. I can't hardly wait for another Game Commissioner to say to me the young people aren't as much involved in hunting these days.

The Remington pump lives to see another season! :)

Well there you go, if slinging lead is what you need, they are certainly up to the job.
Take my word on that, this old fogey has owned and used 2 of them over a 70 year hunting career.
It's got nothing at all to do with guns, hunting, game management, or being denied an opportunity to participate, and every thing to do with an ever increasing bunch of whiners thruout our society.

Well there you go, if slinging lead is what you need, they are certainly up to the job.
Take my word on that, this old fogey has owned and used 2 of them over a 70 year hunting career.
It's got nothing at all to do with guns, hunting, game management, or being denied an opportunity to participate, and every thing to do with an ever increasing bunch of whiners thruout our society.

Did you vote for Hillary ? Because you are sure are anti gun right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.