PA Deer... How's it going?

I got this guy on opening day in WMU 2C. Interestingly enough, we had a photo of the same deer in September. Has split G2's on both sides plus a little kicker for a nice 11 point. Measured a 16" inner and 18" outer spread.

Attachments

• imag0128_resize.jpg
    imag0128_resize.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0646BS.jpg
    IMG_0646BS.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 61
Thanks! Browning x-bolt .300WSM shooting 155gr Berger Hunting VLD's from about 65 yards away. Not exactly "long range". The Berger definitely did its work on the inside but never exited. Went about 40 yards and collapsed.

65 yards away. Not exactly "long range".

That's funny. I laughed when I read that. It's like other guys have said. We breath, dream, and build for long range and kill one 40yds away!:D Now granted my deer was the longest shot I've ever made on a deer, but it wasn't anywhere close to being as far as I would have liked to have shot it. Oh well, maybe next year. I can't complain about having to pack mine out. It drug itself down the slope and I followed. It was GREAT!

Exactly! Last year my dad and I spent ridiculous amounts of time getting ourselves proven out to nearly 500 yards. Custom drop charts, ballistics tables... Then he got his buck at ... 9... repeat... NINE... yards. And that was the straight line to target via the rangefinder so half that distance was DOWN. (In fairness.... he didn't use the rangefinder prior to the shot. It was post shot information only.) :rolleyes:

I hunt 2c and 4a got a nice 6 point with my 25x284 but deer numbers in my area stink. Too many doe tags. You guys should go to www.huntingpa.com its a forum like this. You can hear guys say Pa. has a lot of deer and PGC is doing a good job. Than you have guys like me saying no deer and game commision is screwing up. I did take a doe on a farm where there was plenty . Only 400 yard shot with 338 edge 300 smk. Deer didnt fall in tracks it got knocked over in its tracks, Shot entered shoulder splattered the plate exited thru other shoulder with a 5" hole. I will post pics later.
Mike

Too many doe tags... well said. You can put the general sentiment of our camp down in the "PA deer numbers suck" opinion column. Between the lower numbers of deer and higher numbers of poachers, things are pretty frustrating. However, we still had one great opening morning so we can't complain too much.

Thanks for the link. I'll certainly check things out over there.

Yes, i enjoy the site learned a few things and some opionated ***'s like any other place but it can hit home on some issues. Im " outofstater " on there.

I went out only twice this year do to work. The first Saturday I went out only saw one deer while on stand at about 630 yards in 2G and an army soldier on leave shot that one. Saw two more does while driving out of the woods. The last Saturday in a different spot liltank and I didn't even see a hair!! I agree too many does are being killed off. Other than close to Philly and Pittsburgh they should eliminate does season for a couple of years. That's just what I think!!

Yep, i agree. Heard a fey slim in centre county from your county on pa forum saying its pretty slim in centre county.

Centre County is nothing like it use to be. Haven't hunted in my old stomping grounds in 2yrs. Tried a couple years ago and didn't see a thing. We even sat through a drive and not a single shot. They use to drive that mountain off and all you heard were gun shots. It use to sound like WWIII on the first morning. It's a shame. I was surprised to not see any deer in the acres and acres we looked over on the last day. That was in Clinton Co.

Tank

Slim is a nice way of putting it!!
The 2 southern counties i hunt 4a and 2c is the same way. First day did not see a single deer during shooting hours. Years ago that might of happened 1 day in the middle of second week. First day used to see close a 100 deer. Hell, i think if you tried hard you could exterminate them. Pgc says its okey herd is now stablized , i would laugh if everone boycotted buying licence next year and bankrupted them. The few deer i seen i think i could actually name them.

People bitch about not seeing deer but then go out and shoot a doe. If every one bought them and had a mass burning in front of the game commision office it might help. We have to do it ourselves.
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.