Owning multiple rifles?

I see three rifles being the perfect amount/minimum needed.

Hunting/carry rifle
Long range rifle
Varmit Rifle

Hunting/carry rifle
Long range rifle
Varmit Rifle

I take 3 rifles out hunting on my annual moose hunt, .300 RUM 4.5 x 14 Leupold as a carry rifle, .338-.378 Accumark with 5.5 x 22 Nightforce as my long range rifle and a .375 H&H as my varmint rifle. The varmints here can be big and beligerent sometimes.

Gus

I know a guy that has over 400 guns and only shoots a couple. Go figure.
I always follow the old saying of a tool for every use and a use for every tool. You can't have too many tools.
All that said what I find it hard to do is to quit buying long enough to gather up enough money to build the .338 Edge I want. This gun needs a scope, that rifle needs a stock, and more excuses adnauseam. Careful about picking on guys with more than one gun, they outnumber you. :)

Hunting/carry rifle
Long range rifle
Varmit Rifle

I agree with this. The three I use are the 300 win, 338 LM and the 6br. I do have others that I call dust collectors.

How does that old saying go? " Beware of the man with only one rifle, he probably knows how to shoot it"

Jeff

How does that old saying go? " Beware of the man with only one rifle, he probably knows how to shoot it"

I like that saying alot :D

I like that saying alot :D

Yes, I do too. Problem is, I don't fully follow the advice. But I am way better than I use to be. It takes endless hours of load development, field drop varification and practice to be good with one rifle. I shoot 3 and know **** well if I only shot one I would be better. I don't know how some guys shoot so many and think they are experts. It's not the best program for long range anyway.

Jeff

Got a couple rifles for every purpose, most of them bought in the last couple of years. I've got backups for everything, but I darn sure aint getting anywhere fast with any of them.!!:D

Too many irons in the fire, they all need load development. Some don't even have scopes mounted yet. A couple are problem childs and they took up alot of time on troubleshooting.

It's nice to know that I have two or three for every type of game I hunt, but sometimes here lately, I think I was better off with just 3 total:rolleyes: At least I'd be hunting now instead of hand loading, load testing and mounting/testing scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.