Overtrimmed my brass!

Korhil78

I have never done this before so I thought that I would ask. I Overtrimmed some of my brass (10) so it is .008 shorter than what the book says to trim it to. Is that going to affect anything? I don't think that it will but thought that I would ask.

I have never done this before so I thought that I would ask. I Overtrimmed some of my brass (10) so it is .008 shorter than what the book says to trim it to. Is that going to affect anything? I don't think that it will but thought that I would ask.

Actually, your right on where it should be. Most reloaders try to stay about .010" below SAMMI chamber length. Just keep them all consistent same length; and inside and outside champfer afterward.

Did you trim to SAMMI specs or to a spec "Trim Length" from a loading book? I agree you should be fine but if the speced trim length you used includes .010" os so below SAMMI you do have a slight danger of a carbon spot in the chamber. If this is the case I would still shoot them with a little extra cleaning of the chamber as they grow back out.

Jeff

Trimming .008" shorter than the "trim to" length won't hurt a thing as others here have said. Those cases will flow back length after a couple firing/ full length sizing cycles.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.