Overkill ... Overgun ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FEENIX, Dec 23, 2011.

1. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

No such thing! So share them here ... freely :rolleyes::D:):cool:

1. Coyote taken with .225gr NAB .338 WM @ 338 yards ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gopher taken with .125gr field point @ 20 yards.

[​IMG]

3. Rattle snakes (~ 3.5' & 5.5') taken with .22 LR @ ~ 10 yards. I probably spent 50 rounds or so on each until I called it quits. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Browninglover1

Browninglover1 Well-Known Member

I shot a prairie dog with a 110 grain VMax out of my 300 WSM at around 80 yards. It was really overkill and extremely fun.

3. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

How about my favorite gopher load, .338 with a 300 SMK. I was up shooting with TRGRMAN and SMOKIN99. We had two cameras on the target, one barefoot and one mounted to the spotting scope and a gopher showed up. Note the wind blowing the steel target. Actually we were under gunned as we had to track him a bit. :D

Jeff gun)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTDypg4OAFA"]1000 gopher.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

4. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Jeff,

I'm glad you posted this. I took a co-worker to see Joe last week and we were talking about the video.

Ed

5. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Yeah, I ned to call Joe, haven't talked to him for a long time. My son put the video together. It was a fun day. I'll tell ya, you spend a day with Joe on his range you will learn something about wind. It alway bows hard up there.

Jeff

6. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan, thanks!

Ed

7. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

About 30 years ago I purchased a Weatherby Mark V in 460 Wby mag. To this day I don't know what prompted me to buy that rifle. Anyway, it was early spring and the only thing I could think of to practice on was PA groundhogs.

As a handloader, I took it easy on them by only loading up 300gr HP and 350gr RN bullets. I saved the 500gr soft points for bowling over a few trees. :D

Too bad digital images didn't exist back then.

8. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

When I was MUCH younger and more prone to stupidity :D. I was elk hunting in Colorado with a friend of mine (Bert). We'd been riding in the high country since before daylight, it was midday and my stomach was growling and since we hadn't even cut a fresh track I mentioned that we should stop and have some lunch. Well, the lunch that was supposed to have been put in a saddle bag, was sitting on the fender of the horse trailer (a LONG way away). We had NOTHING to eat and I was hungry. There was a small (2' wide) stream meandering through the meadow below us and I asked Bert if there were Brookies in the stream. He said there were, but we didn't have any fishing tackle. I grabbed my 7mm Rem Mag and picked out a likely looking hole above a shallow riffle (about 100yds away) and took a shot into the water just below a basketball sized rock. I climbed back on my horse and trotted down to the stream, bailed of my horse and tossed 4 8-10" brookies up on the bank. We made a small fire and had ourselves a couple of fresh fish.

I'd say I was a little overgunned, but I got 4 with one shot! gun)

later that day, we jumped some Elk in the quakies and couldn't keep up with them on our horses. We did give it a solid effort though :)

AJ

9. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

L:DL! You gave them brookies heart attacks ... WTG!