Over travel on trigger is it a good thing?

Well guys I just got back from the range and tried shooting with my thumb relaxed on the tang of the stock and with my index finger pad resting on the trigger. My results were similar to what I was already getting. I am still getting a horizontal stringer or 2 to the right about a half to one inch. I am going to adjust my trigger now for maximum overtravel like some of you suggested and like I have been reading about. I will let you all know how it goes.

I'm still thinking that it's something to do with technique. I had to do a lot of dry firing practice to sort out my problems. I shoot a Timney with absolutely "0" overtravel. But, I had to really think about pressing the trigger straight back until it became habit. I've noticed that my hand postion can really affect this. I don't have this problem with thumbhole stocks but my latest custom has a traditional style stock on it. It was a little like re-learning to shoot. What I'm working on now is getting the rifle in the pocket of my shoulder. I've found out that my pocket is more on my collar bone then on my shoulder. I picked up a lot of tips on another site that I don't usually like to visit, but they've really helped out. I can't say with any authority that it's not a trigger problem as I've no experience adjusting overtravel to see what it does. Keep practicing and shooting, you'll get it sorted out. Keep us posted as I'm always looking to learn as well.

In your next session pay close attention to any anticipation of recoil. Most of us like to be "manly" and say that recoil does not affect me, but it does. I have seen guys who at the last instant before the trigger breaks will "hunch" their shoulder just a slight amount. (I have been guilty of this myself on some of my higher recoiling rifles.)

This can be fairly hard to diagnose and often will take a shooting partner who knows what to look for. They have to stand to the side and keep their attention on your shoulder pocket. The motion is usually quite minute, really just a tightening of the shoulder in anticipation of the recoil. As Wild Rose pointed out, you have to concentrate on "relaxing" all the way through the shot. This can only be diagnosed during live fire since during a dry fire exercise you mentally know there will be no recoil so you do not tense up in anticipation of it.

Thanks everybody this is all good information. I am a pretty good shot with a rifle from the bench at 100yds and I know I am no expert so all these tips I am getting I am trying to put to good use. I am new to the long range game and I am quite intrigued by it. Now that I have a rifle capable of making accurate long range shots I need to do my part and learn how to take advantage of the guns's capabilities.

Do you by chance use any bubble type anti-cant device? If you're tweeking that rifle off center ever so much I would bet that 1/2" may be just a few degrees off vetical. I say move your target out as far as you can - trying to diagnose a 1/2" flyer with a hunting rifle at 100 yds. can drive you nuts.

I would tend to agree that all things considered it looks to be the old "Indian behind the bow and arrow".

You are getting a lot of good suggestions - don't give up. Someday it'll unfold.

If you do find the culprit - let us know.

I am agreeing with RDM416. I am thinking you may be flinching a bit and with you saying that during dryfiring you notice the crosshairs move. This tells me you are probably jamming your trigger a bit to hard instead of squeezing it.

A great way to find out if you are flinching is to have a buddy with you at the range and let him load your rifle for you on occasion putting in an empty case and watching how you react when you pull the trigger, he will be able to tell if you are flinching or not. I have done this many times with people that say they cannot shoot group, guess what the problem usually is.

Well Guys, I adjusted my trigger for maximum overtravel and lightened it up a little and headed to the range today to try out some new loads and was pretty happy with the results! I was able to tighten up my 5 shot groups to 1/2 moa or a little less and had no major horizonal stringing to the right! I believe the overtravel helped to make my gun a little more forgiving of my inconsistances. I also really tried to remain relaxed and not tense my muscles up and hold onto the gun so tight. I am used to shooting Big magnums of average weight like a 338 Win and 300 UM so I got used to really holding on to them because of the heavy recoil. My custom rifle is a 7mm Rem mag that weighs 11.25 pounds and is shooting a 180gr Berger VLD at close to 3000+fps so the recoil is not bad at all and I am learning that I do not have to hold on to this gun like my others. I do like the new trigger set up with the overtravel it is crisp and I don't notice the overtravel at the shot at all so I will be setting my future guns up like this as well I don't think it can hurt anything and if nothing else it makes the gun more forgiving. Good luck to you all and thanks for all of your input!

Well Guys, I adjusted my trigger for maximum overtravel and lightened it up a little and headed to the range today to try out some new loads and was pretty happy with the results! I was able to tighten up my 5 shot groups to 1/2 moa or a little less and had no major horizonal stringing to the right! I believe the overtravel helped to make my gun a little more forgiving of my inconsistances. I also really tried to remain relaxed and not tense my muscles up and hold onto the gun so tight. I am used to shooting Big magnums of average weight like a 338 Win and 300 UM so I got used to really holding on to them because of the heavy recoil. My custom rifle is a 7mm Rem mag that weighs 11.25 pounds and is shooting a 180gr Berger VLD at close to 3000+fps so the recoil is not bad at all and I am learning that I do not have to hold on to this gun like my others. I do like the new trigger set up with the overtravel it is crisp and I don't notice the overtravel at the shot at all so I will be setting my future guns up like this as well I don't think it can hurt anything and if nothing else it makes the gun more forgiving. Good luck to you all and thanks for all of your input!
Hey that's great all the way around!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.