Out of box

srhaggerty

Right now due to funds available I can to just an out of the box rifle. If you all had to pick a model for best accuracy out of box which would it be?

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/right-out-box-76570/

^^^ Link to a poll answering your question, Savage is the solid leader in out of the box accuracy. You didn't state what you intended to do with this particular rifle, so i'll add my .002 this way.

Savage 112 in 300 winmag, decent bbl life, farther reach than 308, TONS of factory hunting & match ammo available & enough power for critters out there a way...

Savage, no doubt.
The last I bought (Mar2010) was a 12BVSS in 6.5-284 Norma. $631.99 new, out the door at Dominion Outdoors in Fishersville, VA. I mounted a Leupold 6.5-20X50 LRT and loaded 5 100gn Nosler Ballistic Tips to sight it in. The load was 54.5gn AA3100 & BR2's.
I bore sighted it and used two bullets to tweak my zero and get lined up at 25yds, the other three bullets were the first group from this rifle and it measured .327" @ 100yds. This rifle has produced several 3-shot groups at 500yds that have been under 2".
I went though the motions of barrel break-in but didn't feel this barrel needed it. This rifle/caliber is deadly on Georgia whitetails and hogs. Currently using 120gn Ballistic Tips.
I do own a 112BVSS in .300WinMag and it's accurate too, just shoves me around more. Groups run under .5" at 100yds and 3" @ 500yds. Shooting the 185gn Berger VLD Hunting bullet in this. I bought it used but definately not hurt (Aug2008) from Hammers in Union Gap, WA.

All this to say; Savage - accurate and affordable. Don't overlook the used rifle rack.
Good luck. JohnnyK.

Vote+1 on Savage;) brother-in-law has one in a 25-06, cheap stock, its light and it shoots under an inch on most of the time. Not to knock on Remington (opinion) cause I have had a few that suited me but was more pleased with the savage line of rifles.

In the last year I bought two Remington 700s on sale at Sportsman's warehouse. First was 243 SPS on sale for $399. Second is a recent purchase of the now discontinued ADL in 7-08 also on sale for a mere $318.

Both rifles shot excellenty AFTER the contact point was removed, full floating the barrel. While the injection molded stock is a bit flexible both rifles shot very well off the bench and with a bi-pod. Only other detail was tightening the action screws to 40 In/Lbs.

The beauty of these inexpensive rifles is the aftermarket products for them. The 243 eventually got a rifle basics trigger and a Bell and Carlson rem titanium stock. It is now owned by a friend.

The 7-08's trigger was adjusted and I will probably keep it in the original stock. It shoots 110 TNTs into one tiny hole at 100. It is my new varmint calling rifle/truck rifle.

I have heard great things about the savages but I don't think you can go wrong with a budget Rem 700 either.

Here's a vote for a Browning X-Bolt. Every SINGLE ONE I have shoots well under an inch. Great rifle out of the box.

But to be perfectly honest, you CANNOT go wrong with a Savage or a Tikka. Stay FAR AWAY from the Remmy's----- check your local swap sheet....... you'll see that 3 out of every 4 rifles people are trying to sell are Remingtons :D

What can you spend? On the low side id recomend tikka or savage in the caliber you want. I have a tikka 243 my sister just got only shot the cheap blue box federals through it shoots under an inch. My 2 savages are tack drivers. Love the accutrigger.

+10 on staying away from remington. Not a fan. Action is good to build on but I don't like there factory guns besides maybe the 5r

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.