Ouch!...really

tinman13kup

About 7 weeks ago I had my brother over to try out my extended range (only 180yds) with some new loads in my 338-LM. He brought a MAS-49, a French semi-auto rifle that was converted over to 7.62. The 338 shot excellent, but the MAS had "issues". It appeared the extractor was occasionally riding behind the case instead of the case lip sliding behind it, so I used my palm and smacked the bolt forward. That was my FIRST mistake. When my palm hit the bold (it sticks straight out the side), it fired the round off and my palm kept the bolt from cycling. I manually pulled the bolt back to extract the round and then figured I should have pulled the trigger first, to see if it had tripped the hammer with the jar. I proceeded to try again (mistake number 2), and again, it fired the round and my palm kept it from cycling. I pulled the trigger and the hammer fell on an empty cartridge. It was put away until it could be disassembled and repaired, but now I think I'm the one who needs repaired. I've put off going to the Dr until I can figure out a way to explain it without using the term gun, but still express the pressure that was put into my wrist area. It's my palm that's the problem, and I cannot grab a firearm very firm now without pain, enough that I would drop any handgun I shoot. That simply won't do, as I really like my handguns and shooting left handed just isn't an option. Anyone have any ideas that WON'T make me sound like an idiot or a liar?:rolleyes:

I've learned that telling the doctor the truth and the whole truth is a much better idea, I've tried leading them to the conclusion without telling them the idiot thing I did to cause the issue but in the end I have to spill the beans, that's when you really look like an idiot!!:rolleyes:

It really isn't about the "idiot" thing as much as the "gun" thing. He isn't exactly "gun friendly" if you know what I mean. He knows I do dumb things, heck, I've been a loyal customer:D. By dumb things, I mean thinking I'm an indestructible 20yo and can do anything. Yeah, I WAS 20 once, several decades ago.

I have found that most doctors are not idiots and know quickly when smoke is blown up their wahzoo. They have see some pretty dumb stuff come their way. That is mostly why they have a job.
Several years ago I told a doctor the hand injury I had was from a fall and awkward landing. He told me that the x-ray showed a classic boxers break. He quickly changed his diagnosis to my view when I informed him that my insurance would most likely not pay his bill if that was his diagnosis.

It really isn't about the "idiot" thing as much as the "gun" thing. He isn't exactly "gun friendly" if you know what I mean. He knows I do dumb things, heck, I've been a loyal customer:D. By dumb things, I mean thinking I'm an indestructible 20yo and can do anything. Yeah, I WAS 20 once, several decades ago.

I think I've put a couple kids through college the last couple years, I'm at that point in my life where my body is teaching my brain that it's not capable of bouncing of the ground or leaping building any more. Good thing is that when I go in for a visit I usually end up discussing build specs on the latest rifle, anti gun wouldn't last long around here.

They have see some pretty dumb stuff come their way. That is mostly why they have a job.
Perhaps, but dumb is relative:D. Someone who hires landscapers, cleaners, builders, interior decorators, moving companies, tree trimmers and any other trade you can think of has no concept of "why" I would go shovel 2ft of snow off my roof, or "why" I would move a couple tons of firewood in an afternoon. To those people, it's "dumb".

Bigngreen; the anti's won't last long around me either, but the dr isn't exactly around me. He's in the city, and "guns are dangerous". I normally have a saying for those type of people, which get a chuckle from some. I simply say "yes, we have lots of guns out in the country and you hear gunshots all the time, but the big difference is WE DON'T SHOOT AT EACH OTHER" . I don't think that would go over well.

I'll tell you, being on the Dr. side, you need to tell us the truth..... If you really had explosive gasses shot under the skin, that is a very different kind of treatment or thing to look for other problems than....oooops I fell.. We are not here to judge you.... We are here to care for you and that means with all your "dumb" actions as well..... You will not be the first.... AND SURELY not the last to do something that anyone classifies as "dumb." But if you don't tell the truth so that we can help, you may have much bigger problems in the future!!!!! Think how hard it would be to shoot if you loose your hand!!!!! lightbulb

Marioq, no hot gasses, just the impact of my hand on the bolt and the pressure rearward from the gasses on the bolt. The bolt has it's charge-handle sticking straight out the side, and is about 3/4" round. I used my palm in very much the same way you would use it on the bolt-assist of an AR-15. There is no noticeable swelling and no bruises, which doesn't surprise me. (I just don't bruise, no blood I guess).
Guess I'll try being a bit generic at first and let him ask the questions. I don't think he will have any idea of what a bolt handle is, or of the pressure it creates when fired.

Yeah most of them ... Errr... Us are nerds!!! Hahaha. We (doctors)don't all have the same recreation as we(hunters) do...!!!! Hahahahhah. I am one person in 2 places at the same time!!!!! Hahaha.
If that's all it was then just get it checked. Better safe than sorry!!!

Yeah, I think it's time. A guy went to shake my hand for helping to get his truck and chipper pulled out of the mud and after 7wks, it made my knees tremble when he squeezed a little.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.