Oryx hunt - White Sands Missile Range , New Mexico

Jimm my email is [email protected] I have already called the guide and left a voice mail. He should call me back tomorrow. I will email you the quote...like I said this guy is a guide....but not an outfitter. (I think it is because of the prices for liscensing) So what I would be asking him to do may be illegal, but he will have to make the call. He deals with me because he knows me but I think I can hook you up much cheaper. He got me an elk hunt on a private ranch for about 800 over the cost of a non resident land owner tag....then put me on a huge 6x7 which I missed at 460yds...then on a 5x6 (scored in the 270s but was a last hour miracle)that I tagged at 420. Was the best and cheapest 5 day hunt I have ever been on.

SW Hunter ,

Yes , the Rhodes Canyon area . We hunted the flats and foothills below the San Andres . When you leave the orientation area go west to rr7 and turn north . From there on up for 15 miles or so had high concentrations of animals . The other area that had a lot of oryx was to take the road out of the orientation area parking lot that went due north . Up about ten miles the flats to your left had good numbers .

If you ask a game and fish officer he will mark the map of the range that they give everyone.
BTW , even though the info packet for the hunt encourages the hunter to carry a cell phone it can not have a camera function .

The only thing we did not have when we were checking in wa s the 4dollar habitat or whatever its called stamp and the guidelines for the hunt did not tell you that you needed it. When we were asked for it and didn't have it the officer put a note down that we had been warned and told us to bring it the next day . We did but no one asked for it .

My email addy is in my profile if you think of any thing you think I might help with .

I hope to be seeing some pix of another WSMR oryx in a few weeks . You can always take it off base and take som e pix . BTW there wer e skinners camped just off the base caping and quartering for a fee . Very reasonable too . Something to consider cuz rolling a near 600 lb. animal around on the ground as the sun is setting and trying to get a good cape is not the most fun part .

Jim B.

The sheep tag has gone over the counter. I drew one this year. Not anything to get excited about unless I can locate a private ranch. You mentioned a couple years ago you had a lead on a $400 access fee. Could you share the info with me, Leadshot.

Great story and very nice pic. 550 pounds that's alot of animal...beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
leadshot, Jimm said the name of the rancher was Troy Floyd. He didn'y have the phone # but said the G & F in Roswell had the # as well as several others. Let me know how your hunt goes, if I draw my Oryx tag this year :)maybe I could combine it with a Barbary hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts