Original 3 port Muscle Break

CHARLIEDUECE65

I bought one of these in the round version. I have a Remington Varmint contour barrel with a muzzle od of .830. I was hoping to be able to have the break contoured flush with my muzzle. But after reading more about it it says the max material to be removed is 0.025. Anyone know if this is correct or can it be contoured flush with the muzzle. Thanks.

I had a mini muscle (.990) milled down .90.

This is from Jim See, former owner, Center Shot Rifles!

Coyboy said:
the mini comes with a 9/16x24 tpi that is fine for applications on 338 caliber and smaller.

as long as you don't turn it down to far which would be .850 for the mini so you will be fine at .900"

I bought one of these in the round version. I have a Remington Varmint contour barrel with a muzzle od of .830. I was hoping to be able to have the break contoured flush with my muzzle. But after reading more about it it says the max material to be removed is 0.025. Anyone know if this is correct or can it be contoured flush with the muzzle. Thanks.

Follow the manufactures recommendations.

They are for safety, The ported brakes have large ports to help reduce recoil and if they are turned below the recommended size they become weak and could be dangerous.

Normally the brakes that can be turned down are the radial designed ones and have smaller holes
that allow them to be turned down with out weakening them (They may also be limited on minimum diameter.

The smaller brakes that "look good" also don't reduce recoil as much, so a decision has to be made as to which one would be best for you.

J E CUSTOM

If you have the original 3 port round which is 1.25" in Dia. you can turn it down to 1" dia. and still be safe. any smaller and you thin out the top and bottom of the brake so it is not as strong and could conceivably distort the brake from the power of the muzzle blast.

all the Muscle brakes in round versions can be turned down to the height of the same model in the slabbed version.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.