Oregon Gunsmiths

Discussion in 'West' started by briar rabbit, Dec 7, 2010.

1. briar rabbit

briar rabbit Well-Known Member

Looking for a couple of recommendations for gunsmiths in the Portland Oregon area (willing to drive a couple hours if needed) that are honest, knowledgeable and craftsmen, preferable owner operator. I have a couple of small projects but will do bigger projects after I get comfortable with their work.
    Thanks in advance...

2. fj40mojo

fj40mojo Well-Known Member

I used this guy and am pretty happy with the work he did.

Skaggs Gunsmithing

I wouldn't let proximity to home be the determining factor on gunsmith choice. Shipping is cheap compared to buying new guns or paying a second to fix the first's mistakes.

3. briar rabbit

briar rabbit Well-Known Member

I wouldn't let proximity to home be the determining factor on gunsmith choice. Shipping is cheap compared to buying new guns or paying a second to fix the first's mistakes.
    [/QUOTE]

My hang-up with shipping is that I have purchase used guns over the years that I have receipts for but not in my name and trying to keep it that way (conspiracy guy). I now realize that I have no idea what documentation a gunsmith does for his record keeping and could make my shipping concerns a mute point.
    I also appreciated your statement on paying a second time for mistakes as my pocketbook cannot afford to pay twice and a botched repair is almost as bad as messing with my family (excluding in laws).
    Thanks Tom