ordering a barrel?

happylilcuss

When you order a barrel from a company like say lilja can you get it chambered? I want to order a 243AI barrel and put it on my old rem 700 22-250. If I cant get it ordered chambered does anyone know of any gunsmiths around Reno Nevada? If you send a rifle to a smith like kirby does it have to come to him through an ffl? Does he have to send it back to an ffl? Just a few questions as I have never had anywork done here in nevada or online..
Thanks for any help!

I've heard of a very good gunsmith in Mounhouse, down between Carson and Dayton. A couple guys I work with have used him and are very happy with his work. I'll get his contact info for you tomorrow.

If you want to send your gun to someone you don't have to go through a FFL on your end. You can send it straight to them, and they send it straight back to you.

Lilja doesn't do gunsmithing, according to their website. However, it appears they do have some barrels in stock.

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Centerfire Precision Barrels

I recently sent my action to pac-nor in oregon, where they built and installed my barrel, including truing the action. Then I took it to a local gunsmith for assembly. If I was to do it again, I'd probably just let the gunsmith do the chambering, unless he didn't have the reamer....

Edit - Pac-nor did a great job and was easy to communicate with, nothing at all bad about Pacnor. I just found a local guy with great rates...

Last edited:
For my 243AI project that is being built Lilja had the barrel in stock. #7 28in 6mm blank and they're doing the fluting.

If you call or email Dan Lilja and give him your specs he will be more than glad to suggest a smith. Maybe even one in your area. I have never emailed Dan a question that he didn't answer in a short amount of time. They are great people with an awesome product at Lilja barrels.

happylilcuss, I was in the same boat as you. I ordered a barrel from Pac-Nor and made arrangements to send it to a gunsmith in Colorado. He said it didn't need to go through an ffl, so I boxed up the barrel and barreled action real good and sent it UPS. It got there last Thursday and as you would guess I can't wait to get the finished product back. Good luck, Dave.

I don't know of any barrel makers that will fully chamber a barrel, although I have heard of short chambering. You would still need to send the barrel and action to a gunsmith to have the barrel threaded, fitted, and headspaced to your action in addition to final chambering and crowning.

It looks to me like shilen will chamber and thread barrels.. I could be mistaken but thats what I get from there website.
Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.

Yes they do chamber there barrels but they are short chambered and you will still
have to get a smith to headspace it with a finish reamer.

The exception to this is the savage because they can be headspaced with the barrel nut.

Brownells sels some short chamberd barrels also.

J E CUSTOM

I just sent (2) rifles to Jim See out of Center Shot Rifles in WI and did not need to send it via FFL. I sent mine over FedEx with no problems. The way he explained it if I remember correctly, and please correct me if I'm wrong guys, is since you are not selling the rifle to him, therefore the registration will still be in your name legally, you do not need an FFL. Once again, I may be wrong, I'm getting older and the memory is going, so please correct me if I'm not right.

That is how it normally works. The only issue I've run in to is UPS wanting to see a copy of the FFL where I'm sending it to, for some reason. But the gunsmiths can ship it directly back to me, since I already own the rifle.

The UPS store around here wouldn't even ship it. I sent an AR upper to Shawn and they would not even allow me to do that! The UPS stores around here have a strict no guns policy ever since 9/11 from what the lady at the counter told me. It's not a UPS policy, its the owners of the stores policy I guess. That is why every time I just send it via FedEx because they don't give me any s*** when I do it!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.